cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2012 compression and failing jobs after upgrade

Hansdev
Level 5

Hi all,

Recently i have upgraded my 12,5 BE to 2012 with SP4. 

I have 3 jobs in my schedule and 2 tapestreamers (hp Ultrium 448)

2 of the 3 jobs are upgraded fine with no problems but the last one i keeps asking every time about :

please insert overwritable media to the drive. Before the upgrade everything still fits on the one tape  i used

The tape isnt write protected

Media request.png

Also the compression ratio is still 1,1:1

appendable.png

setting:

appendable setting.png

When i cancel the job i see that byte count is on: canceled.png

What i have done so far:

1 repaired the database

upgraded firmware of scsi and ultrium

upgraded drivers

recreated job.

What i also think it is strange, when i run an inventory or do a full erase, it takes much time and give me the impression that there is nothing happening

How can i make sure that the hole job fits on the disk and the compression rate goes up.

12 REPLIES 12

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Unless you are backing up "static" data, there is always a possibility of requiring additional media for your backups.

Backup Exec simply sends an ON or a OFF signal to the tape drive which actually performs the hardware compression. Try a test with software compression and see if the data compresses better or not (To isolate any issue with the tape drive).

If the software compression ratio is pretty much the same as that of hardware compression, check the data which is being compressed ? Does the backup include already compressed files or pictures/videos etc as these data types do not compress well.

If the software compression ratio is way higher than that of hardware compression, run vendor diagnostics against the tape drive. Clean the tape drive as well.

Hansdev
Level 5

Thank you for your fast reply. 

I have set the compression now to software option. Tonight the backup is gonna run, so i have to wait if the software compression goes better.

And how about erase and inventory jobs.

In 2010 R3 i know that these jobs are running with a few minutes.

How about that?

VJware
Level 6

Full erase does a bit longer time than a short erase..How long does it take for a tape to be inventoried ? Are you using Symantec drivers or OEM drivers for the tape drive ? (Would recommend the former)

Any hardware errors/warnings under the event viewer - system logs ? One reason could be a delay in mounting the tape for the inventory/erase utility job..Do have a look (or post) the adamm.log for any errors/warnings...

Hansdev
Level 5

I have just ran tapeutil.exe and installed the symantec drivers.

im gonna reboot ther server tonight,. 

Ill let you know the result

Hansdev
Level 5

To bad after 8 hours and 40.5 gb i have to put in the media. I dont get it. Why does the other jobs run succesfully?

2e run.png

How can i solve this now.

I also doing now an inventory but its running about 15 minutes and stil stands on queud. I have paused it already and resumed it. But nothing happend. How many time does it take?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
It could be that the tape drive/library is bad. Run the HP LT&T utility against the devices. Make sure you select the write test and that you have stopped all the BE services beforehand.

Hansdev
Level 5

Hi,

i have done the test. There are no problems with te tape and streamer. All read and write tests are a succes.

How can it be that there is 45.gb written (see pciture above)and than it is asking about a new tape.

(with the tool i have also just do a full erase on the tape. Maybe that will help)

Hansdev
Level 5

i have done a full erase with hpm utility

now be says that the tape is written unrecognised and havent done anything yet.

Im running with symantec driver.

the other jobs wich are write to another tapestreamer have no problems.

what else can i do.

Also an inventory on both tapestreamers stay queued even after pause the server en enable it.

i started BEutil and i see that the server is paused, paused.png

but no the tapes i have paused and unpaused restarted the services but stil it stands on server paused

queued.png

VJware
Level 6

See if this KB helps in removing the server paused status - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH187277

Hansdev
Level 5

the only thing to cancel the inventory job is to restart all services.

Pause and unpause en hold queu doenst work for me.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

I'd suggest repairing BE first. Once done, repair the BEDB and check again.

Thanks!

Hansdev
Level 5

I have done a repair of BE through the control panel (repair)

now i have starteded BEutil and have done a repair of the database.
Database repair completed.

Beutil still says server paused