cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 SP1 Update - Is a server reboot required after updating the remote agent for windows?

m_goette
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

we'd like to update from BackupExec 2014 to BackupExec 2014 SP1. My question concerns the following entry in this link: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH222618

"- Remote Agent for Windows Servers will need to be updated after installing this Service Pack."

after updating the agent, will I have to reboot the server on which the agent is running? If so we'll wait with this update until our next planned maintenance, as most of our servers can't be rebooted during working hours.

Would be great if anyone who is already running SP1 could answer this.

Thanks in advance,

Markus

5 REPLIES 5

Sym-cr
Level 5

SP1 is a major Service Pack which fixes lot of issues and it will prompt for a reboot of the Remote Server. A reboot of Remote Server upon installing a SP is recommended too, for the necessary changes to take effect.

Thanks!!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
A reboot is needed because there may be modules that are held by some processes during the SP installation and only a reboot can get them updated

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

A reboot may be necessary, but a RAWS update does not require a reboot always. And in such cases, the reboot is not a forced one and you could schedule a downtime for the affected remote servers.

Moltron1
Level 5

Be mindful of the RAWS updates.  I've seen that when you upgrade sometimes the agent service stops and won't start till the source server is rebooted.   Also I noticed that the job will still try to backup said server and complete with exceptions and NOT fail.  This - in my case - would backup only a few MB and stop.  So if you were skimming or had someone else checking backups for failures, something like this could get easily missed. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The moral of the story: Always reboot after any software upgrade whether it is forced or not.