cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 license for exchange

Gil_Ra-im
Level 3

Do I need to purchase license for exchange if I don't backup individual mailbox? I only backup the whole databases. I just need to install remote agent so I can do the backup? Please advise. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hello Gil,
Backup/Restore of Indivudal Mailbox is just a feature(Granular Recovery Technology) associated to the Backup Exec 15 'Agent for Applications and Databases' license. For a backup of the complete Exchange Database, you'd still need the Symantec Backup Exec Agent For Applications And Databases license. 
Please refer to the Backup Exec 15 Licensing Guide to get more details on it: 
How Agents and Options are Licensed in Symantec Backup Exec 15 (Licensing Guide)

You may also want to refer the following links: 
1. Best practices for Backup Exec 2014/15 Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server
2. Technical White Paper: Backup Exec 15: Protecting Microsoft Exchange

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Hello Gil,
Backup/Restore of Indivudal Mailbox is just a feature(Granular Recovery Technology) associated to the Backup Exec 15 'Agent for Applications and Databases' license. For a backup of the complete Exchange Database, you'd still need the Symantec Backup Exec Agent For Applications And Databases license. 
Please refer to the Backup Exec 15 Licensing Guide to get more details on it: 
How Agents and Options are Licensed in Symantec Backup Exec 15 (Licensing Guide)

You may also want to refer the following links: 
1. Best practices for Backup Exec 2014/15 Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server
2. Technical White Paper: Backup Exec 15: Protecting Microsoft Exchange

pkh
   VIP    Certified

By default, you cannot backup a .edb file.  It is automatically excluded by AFE (Automatic File Exclusion).

Even if you disable AFE, the Exchange database file that you back up may not be consistent and thus maybe unusable when it is restore.  Furthermore, when you restore the entire database, you are reverting every mailbox back to the time of the backup.  Imagine you need to restore a mail from a month ago.  You restore the database from a backup around that time.  This means that every mailbox loses 1 month worth of mail.  Is this acceptable?

In short, you would need GRT restore of the Exchange database whether you like it or not and you would need an Agent for Application and Database licence to do the backup.

Gil_Ra-im
Level 3

Thanks for clarifying. Another question, If I have 2 servers 1 MMS and 1 CAS should I purchase 2 BE14 license each? Thanks.

p.s already read the licensing guide but it makes me more confused. 

Gil_Ra-im
Level 3

i mean BE15 license.. sorry typo error

Siddhant_Saini
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Gil, you'll have to go for the 'Enterprise Server Option' license for working in a Managed Backup Exec Server Environment.