cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd Tape drive not running job

greeneluke
Level 3

Hi All,

I hope somebody can help me. I have a HP autoloader 4048 that had 2 * internal LTO4 drives. We replaced the 2 drives with LTO5 drives. In backup exec 2010D/device manager I can see the drives ok and have added them to device pool , one will run a backup/restore but the 2nd one just stays in a queued state. This wasnt a problem previously with the LTO4 drives. Any ideas?

Thank You

Luke

11 REPLIES 11

greeneluke
Level 3

Additional information :

So when I run a backup/restore job to non working drive, it immeadiatly goes to queued state. I just tried an inventory job there and it runs for approx 8 mins and then get the error below.

Might be an issue with hardware addressing.

Final Error: 0xe0008212 - Library Error - Invalid Element Address.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Have you deleted the LTO4 tape drives from Backup Exec?

Have you deleted the LTO4 drives from Windows Device Manager (with "Show Hidden Devices enabled)?

Can you post your adamm.log file here?

Hi Larry, 

Thanks for the reply. Yes the old LTO4 drives are gone from Windows Device manager and Backup exec.

adamm.log content below. 

Thank You

Hi Larry, 

Thanks for the reply. Yes the old LTO4 drives are gone from Windows Device manager and Backup exec.

adamm.log content below. 

Thank You

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Your tape library is confused as it think that it has 4 tape drives, 3 of them with the same serial number. :)  If you have 4 tape drives, then investigate the duplicate serial number with HPE.  If you only have 2 drives like I assume, then I would suggest resetting this library back to factory defaults.  I believe the only risk to resetting is possibly losing the network config info, but double check that.  Then power cycle the tape library and the Backup Exec server.

0003:0001:0001:0001 Device Name "\\.\MediumChanger0"
Primary Inquiry "HP MSL G3 Series 8.10"
Serial Number "HP MSL G3 Series DEC02101X9"
Device Flags SCSI, SN(TYPE 1), SN(ELEMENT)
Device State 3, Online

Device IDs 1091, {A4564A6A-BA16-4420-A084-A6D8C01011B6}
Device Name "HP 2"
Device Type 2131755008, "CHANGER FS=1"
Device Features 0x00057008
1st Slot Number 1
Number Of Slots 48

Drive Element 0 1156, "HU1310UYT9"
Drive Element 1 1157, "HU1314VCCB"
Drive Element 2 1157, "HU1314VCCB"
Drive Element 3 1157, "HU1314VCCB"

Thank you Larry for taking the time to respond, yes, I have 2 drives, not 4. We did have 2 full height LTO4 drives but now have 2 half height LTO5 drives so that creates 2 free slots now, where as before with the full height drives we didnt have any spare slots. As the 2 old LTO4 drives worked ok before do you think it's safe to say it is not an LEO licence issue?

Thanks Again.

Luke

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

I have seen this library get confused internally when the tape drive configuration is changed.  A simple power cycle of the library does NOT resolve it.  Once this issue is fixed, hopefully, BE will be happy, but no guarantees.  But it is the first step.

I see no evidence that this is a LEO license issue or problem.

Hi, 

I have factory reset the library and it removed reference to the 2 free slots so I now have 2 devices with correct serial number in the adamm.log file. I have swapped drives around at the back of the library and the other drive runs a job ok but the one that previously ran ok goes to queued state now so hardware wise the 2 drives are working fine.

Thanks

Luke

Also, I have tried to put one of the drives into the 2 spare slots and when I do this Windows doesnt recognise the drive in either slot. Device manager only shows one drive being detected even though the 2 drives in library are online.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

What is the connection between this tape library and the BE server?  I am assuming FC from your previous adamm.log

If Windows Device Manager doesn't see both tape drives, then I would suspect a cabling issue or some other connection issue.  Power cycling the library and the server would be the first step.  I don't think the library has the ability to control if Windows can see the tape drive, but I could be wrong.  Especially of the library doesn't power up the tape drive in certain slots, which I have never heard of.

If you are swapping drives around, you may want to factory default the library again.

I am not sure what is going on here now, but maybe the next step is to get a fresh copy and take a look at your adamm.log again?

It looks like your library and firmware might be a little old, so updating those would be a good step.

Here is the standard troubleshooting overview, if you haven't seen it.  https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100016050

Issue is sorted now. I could not get the latest Firmware for Medium changer and drives on the web, so logged a call with HP and they gave me the correct and latest ones, and one I updated all worked ok. Thanks for your help Larry