cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd Tape drive

Aendni
Level 2

Hi all,

i have a problem with me backup. It takes about 26 hours for 1,2 TB. I need to do that faster.

Any ideas?

Should i buy another tape drive (i have one external LTO6 drive) and create 2 jobs for the same server? Do i then have to buy a new licence? I dont understand that whole LEO license stuff...

Thanks

Andreas

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

THe Library Expansion Option license licenses everything after the first drive in an autoloader/tape library. Example, your library has 1 drive...this is covered by the media server license. You add 3 more drives for a total of 4, and you need 3 x LEO licenses.

If you add a second stand-alone drive then you don't need an LEO license...only when adding more than the first drive as per above.

A second drive MIGHT help...no guarantee. It will allow you to split your job in 2.

Otherwise there is backing up to disk using a B2D or even dedupe, and then streaming that off to tape.

Thanks!

lmosla
Level 6

Also, have you seen this document on ways to improve throughput?  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH49521  check out the Backup to tape section.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Backup speed is not dependent on your tape drive alone.  There is a myriad of factors which affect backup speed.  Try tuning your BE.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/tuning-backup-exec

However, if you suspect that your tape drive is the problem, it is possible to tune it.

sk7777
Level 4
Certified

What is the Backup type ? File or Database level ? 

Aendni
Level 2

Hi, what do you mean with File or Database level?

Thanks!

sk7777
Level 4
Certified

What your backup job includes , i mean content - 

Just windows servers, linux servers  , Any Specific Applications like Exchange, Sql, Oracle Databases, User File shares ?

Aendni
Level 2

Its just a File&Print windows server..