cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32-bit SQL under 64-bit Windows 2003

Joseph_Salzer
Level 3
Hi All,

I have come across a weird issue, which I've scratched my head for hours searching for a solution.  I am not sure if other people have seen the same issue.

Basically there are (5) MS SQL 2000 SP4 Servers, four of those servers run on Windows 2003 32-bit and one runs on Windows 2003 64-bit.  All servers are running the 32-bit version of Microsoft SQL 2000 SP4.  The Backup Exec SQL Agent is also licensed.  The problem I've encountered is that on the server running Windows 2003 64-bit, I can never get a good backup of any SQL databases.  The backup job runs, but skips every single database (even northwind).  The backup job finishes almost immediately (runs for about 2 - 4 seconds) and comes back with the following:

Error:
Backup- sqlsvr2.localgroup.local
Database \Northwind was not found, or could not be accessed.

Also gives this exception:

Backup- sqlsvr2.localgroup.local
The item sqlsvr2.localgroup.local\Northwind in use - skipped.

I am able to browse the SQL resources when creating the backup job, and also all credentials test are successful.  I also know for a fact the Northwind database is not in use.  The agent has been uninstalled & re-installed with the same outcome.  Backup jobs on the Windows 2003 32-bit servers run fine.

Is there a known issue with the Backup Exec 64-bit Remote Agent backing up 32-bit databases?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
1 REPLY 1

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
There is an issue with SQL 2000's SQLVDI running on a x64 server.  Microsoft has released a patch that addresses this issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=913100