cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

35 GB Full backup and 200 GB Incrementals

BrianSK
Level 3

Hi Everyone

I have a group of Vmware VMs in our VCSA 6.5, which are applications servers, running Wonderware software on windows server 2016. 
I backed them up in 2 groups (5 VMs in each). Weekly Full backup and Daily Incremental. Both the daily and the incrementals are configured in the same backup job. 

All the application servers have 200 GB thin provisioned Harddrives. 

6 of the servers, split between the 2 groups are backing up just fine. 35-ish GB Full backups and 1-4 GB incrementals. 
However, the remaining 4, also split across the 2 groups have huge incremental backups. Full 35GB and Incremental 200 GB. (Which is 100% of their harddrives) 

All 10 application servers have the same backup settings as they are grouped together. (2 groups of 5)

Here are the different backup settings. 

* Backed up to a storage device pool with 2 Disk storages (Not dedup) 
* No compression or encryption
* Verify at end of job
* Instant GRT enbaled
* Use snapshot technology is enabled
* Automatic - Allow VSS to select snapshot provider
* Process logical volumes for backup one at a time 
* Use Backup exec GRT is enabled
* Backup using VSS is enabled
*Transport mode: SAN > Hotadd > NBD > NBDSSL

I hope someone is able to help me find a sollution to this. 

Best Regards 
Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Did you enable Changed Block Tracking?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Did you enable Changed Block Tracking?

Hi pkh

I just checked all the servers and it seems that the 6 good servers have CBT enabled "ctkEnabled = TRUE" in "VM settings > Options > Advanced > Edit Configuration parameters" 

And the 4 "bad" servers does not have the ctkEnabled line in the configuration. 

I also checked several other servers which run incremental, and they all have CBT enabled. 
I sounds like that is almost difinitely the problem. I am not able to test it right now. But will do so in a week or so. 
I will update the case after testing. :) 

Thank you very much. 

Hi again pkh

I shut the servers down and went into the parameters configration. Here i added "ctkEnabled" "TRUE" and "scsi0:0.ctkEnabled" "TRUE" (There is only one drive in each server)

After powering up the machines i tried to run incremental backups on 2 of the servers, however it resulted in several errors. 

--------------------Server 1------------------------------

V-79-57344-38366 - VDDK-Warn: ERROR opening boot.ini file boot.ini for reading

VDDK-Warn: ERROR: Vmount library: Error 5 while while reading from device

VDDK-Warn: ERROR: Unable to create a temporary file at 'C:\Program Files\Veritas\Backup Exec\Data\VMwareTemp\vixmntapi'.

VDDK-Warn: VixDiskLibProvider::NameBasedProvider::Get: Unable to open disk G:\BEData\IMG000287\XXXXXXX - Application Server 2017 - 7 - Indvejning.vmdk, openflags = 4 - VixError 0x4.

VDDK-Warn: DiskLibProvider_GetDisk: Open failed - index 0.

VDDK-Warn: ERROR 2 opening disk 0.

---------------------Server 2--------------------------

V-79-57344-38366 - VDDK-Warn: VixDiskLibProvider::NameBasedProvider::Get: Unable to open disk G:\BEData\IMG000288\XXXXXXXX - Application Server 2017 - 10 - M02-000002.vmdk, openflags = 4 - VixError 0x4.

VDDK-Warn: DiskLibProvider_GetDisk: Open failed - index 0.

VDDK-Warn: ERROR 2 opening disk 0.

I am currently looking into these errors. 

Best regards. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Did you run a full backup before running the incremental? If not, do so

Yea, full scan was required after CBT was enabled, which does make sense :) hehe. 
It works like a charm now. 

Thank you very much for your help pkh. 

Best regards
Brian