cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 week vs 10 week retension (amount of disk space) on dedupe?

macpiano
Level 6

I used dedupe and have the standard 4 week retension and unlike tape where it can sit for a long time if you have enough tapes it seemed like you really only got the 4 weeks and then it recycles it like it is supposed to. Are files are fairly static even though it is backing up close to 3 TB. Would a 10 week retention time take a whole lot more space? As an example my one dedupe folder that is backing up about 4 TB of stuff over that 4 week period and it has used about 2.2 TB on the dedupe folder. The dedupe folder is 6 TB so I do have a good amount of space.

1 REPLY 1

teiva-boy
Level 6

Well it's not linear thats for sure..  So 8wks is not 4.4TB of space consumed...  It realy comes down to daily change rate and types of files being backed up.

I think it's pretty safe that you can move to 10wks with little effect, using some internal only partner tools, I would say you'll grow to only about 50% more space consumed at 10wks retention.  So 3+ TB's of space

Even more conservative would be do your 4 weeklies, and retain 2 month end backups.  This would only consume maybe about 25% more space of your existng 2.2TB's.