cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5520 Backup Exec Services fail after HotFix 19

Fred_Williams
Level 2
After installing Hotfix 19 on our veritas backup exec 10.0 5520 sp1 media server (windows 2003 sp1), the Backup Exec services fail to start. Ther error given is "The database specified does not exist". The database is on a different server running Windows 2003 Sp1, SQL 2000 sp4.

I have read a few knowledge base articles but so far nothing has worked to bring these services back online.

Any help in resolving this issue is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Fred
5 REPLIES 5

Fred_Williams
Level 2
Hello,

I an effort to get things back up and running, I downloaded and installed 10d. The installer completed successfully, I can provide the bkupinst.log if requested, but the services still fail to run. The error is still "The database specified does not exist."
How can i check what database it is looking for, as well as what server it is looking on and what credentials are bieng used? I checked the HKLM/Software/Veritas registry settings, and those look correct...

Fred_Williams
Level 2
Re: 5520 Backup Exec Services fail after HotFix 19

since the 10.1 (10d) installer claimed to have executed successfully, and the bkupinst.log did not idicate any errors, I am lead to believe that any database updates that were required *should* have completed.. however the version table in BEDB as not updated correctly ... I update the version number in this table manually and the services will now start!

Please let me know if this is an acceptable fix or not..

thanks
Fred

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

It is not recommended to modify the BEDB like that. In order to resolve the problem you are facing, follow the steps in the technotes below:

Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0 Device and Media service fails to start with the message "Database specified does not exist."
http://support.veritas.com/docs/274102

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 Device and Media Service will not start with the error: "The database specified does not exist."
http://support.veritas.com/docs/267799

Revert if the issue persists.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

Fred_Williams
Level 2
Hello,

Thanks you for your response, however following both of those articles did not resolve the problem.

"Revert if the issue persists."
Ok, how would i go about doing this without losing my catalog, settings etc etc.

Thank you
Fred

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi Fred!

We apologize for the delay in response.

In this case, we would suggest you to run the MDAC component checker and see if there are any mismatched dlls.

If there are any, then you will have to replace them.

Thanks and regards,

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.