cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9.1 notifications not being sent to external address

oj_harris
Level 2
I have Backup Exec 9.1 running on a windows 2003sbs that will not send notifications to external addresses. Any help would be appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
By External Addresses, do you mean SMTP/MAPI? If SMTP, check to see if you have a corporate virus scanner which blocks port 25 (the default for SMTP notifications)

Did test notifications work at all?

If you are trying to use Netsend to external computers, verify that the Messenger service is turned on at both machines, sender and receiver. In W2K3, MS turned this service off by default.

oj_harris
Level 2
Thanks for the quick response. no the test notifications had the same issue. and there was no blocking by antivirus. I manged to send the notification by entering our ISP's SMTP relay server as the one to use. I would like to know why it cant send through our exchange server.

thanks

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
From what I know, Exchange is not a true smtp server, it only emmulates one. I think a true smtp server is unix based, but do not quote me on that. :p

Perhaps this is an issue with the SBS version of Exchange because I have not had trouble with SMTP notifications before (I use E2K and E2K3)

Have you tried MAPI notifications, just to make sure you are not having communication issues between BE and the Exchange server?

oj_harris
Level 2
> Perhaps this is an issue with the SBS version
Think so, as MS preconfigures everything with SBS

> Have you tried MAPI notifications
yes, MAPI works ok

Dave_Bunye
Level 6
You know, I think I heard about SBS only wanting to talk within it's own environment. I'll give my buddy who has used SBS before a call and see if he knows something about it.

Varsha
Level 6
This can be caused by a configuration problem on the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) server specified within the notification setup of Backup Exec.

By default, most e-mail servers do not allow e-mail relaying. If the notification e-mail account does not reside on the SMTP server that is specified in the Backup Exec notification setup, then the SMTP server must allow relaying from the Backup Exec server.

For example, if the SMTP server hosts e-mail for the domain "mydomain.com" and the notification e-mail address is "joe@mailmehere.net," then the SMTP server will need to allow relaying from the Backup Exec server.

Referto the following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/264683

oj_harris
Level 2
That is the problem....strange that the sender is a member of the domain it's coming from.....but allowing the smtp server to relay corrected this (not really what I wanted to do, but hey at this point I'll take it)

Thanks!