cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A RW tape that seems to only write once?

Tapjoy
Level 3

Hello all,

I'm running Symantec Backup Exec 2010 on a Windows 2008 Standard server.  My backup device is a Tandberg Data LTO-3 HH connected to a SCSI card.  The backups were running good a few months ago with the TDK LTO-3 400/200 GB tape until we ran out.  I purchased more tapes that we're of the exact same model and brand but when I tried using it there were some issues.  The first backup job was completed successfully but there were problems on the next backup.  Backup Exec keeps ejecting the tape with an error of the tape can only be written to once.  I maybe thought for some reason the lock switch had been moved but I confirmed that it was correctly set for unlock.  So I tried the backup again but received the same error of write once tape.  Did anybody ever run into this situation, know somebody who has or has any suggestions?

8 REPLIES 8

Tapjoy
Level 3

LTO000015

Error category : Backup Media Errors
Error : e00084ec - A backup storage read/write error has occurred.

If the storage is tape based, this is usually caused by dirty read/write heads in the tape drive. Clean the tape drive, and then try the job again. If the problem persists, try a different tape.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34028

* This is a brand new tape and the first backup job was successful.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Do you have a partnumber or any other number for the new tapes you have ?

There are indeed WORM tapes available (write once, read many).

Tapjoy
Level 3

The tape is TDK Ultrium LTO 3 400/800 GB cartridge, D2406-LTO3.

Tapjoy
Level 3

I just ordered a cleaning tape to see if this would help with the situation.  I don't think the guy before me ever cleaned the heads of the backup drive.  I should get the tape by the end of the week so I'll provide feedback on what happens with this.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Tapjoy,

Normaly you do not have to clean LTO drives untill the cleaning light turns on.

I suggest to order another brand of LTO-3 tape(s) and test these.

Tapjoy
Level 3

The TDK tapes were working fine before so why would they not work all of a sudden?

Tapjoy
Level 3

So I tried another tape that I had in inventory of the same brand and the backup completed successfully.  I'll try using the same tape again in a backup and see if it has the same problem as the first tape I used.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

You can see if Tandberg have a utility for their tape drives, and if so, check for a utility to erase tapes. Erase a tape, and then try again.

There have been some posts on the forums where this has helped solve a variety of issue...

Thanks!