cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Remote Agent for Windows Systems license is required for protecting remote servers with this edition of Backup Exec.

nadjib
Level 2
Hi Everyboy,

I'm using Symantec Backup Exec to backup my servers.
The infrastructure is :
1 backup server connected to an MSL 2024 via an SCISI connection
6 clients
All the servers are connected to a LAN

After 3 months of exploitation I've got the following error message (impossible to backup the clients) :
License Violation
A Remote Agent for Windows Systems license is required for protecting remote servers with this editi...
Please contact your vendor for information on protecting remote servers with this edition of Backup ...

I've got two registred lisences :
SYMC BACKUP EXEC SERVER 12.5 WIN PER SERVER BNDL STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S BASIC 12MO

and

SYMC BACKUP EXEC SERVER 12.5 WIN PER SERVER I/O BASIC 12 MONTHS

Should I buy another license to be able to backup again my clients or it's only a matter of configuration to solve this problem.

Thank you in advance

Regards
Nadjib

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec has a Server license - that covers installing the BackuP Exec Media Server and backing up the data on that media server, backups of remote servers across the network need the appropriate agents and licenses for the software that runs on them

A Windows File server needs a Remoet Agent for Windows License (RAWS)
A Linux server needs a Remoate Agent for Linux and Unix Systems license (RALUS)
An Exchange Server needs an Exchnage Agent License
A SQL Server needs a SQL agent license etc
(Note if you have standard files on an Exchnage or SQL server that need backup up then you don't need a RAWS license as well for those servers as we do allow you to protect the compleet system runnign SQL or Exchnage etc)

When you first install Backup Exec you get a grace period to evaluate these licenses - which might explian why you have just started to receive these alerts.

nadjib
Level 2
Ok. Just to understand better...
If I have to backup the directories and the system states of my clients I have to buy  RAWS license for each one of them (windows server 2003).

Thanks for the answer.

Regards
Nadjib

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
Yes - as long as no database type techologies are also installed in the clients (such as Exchange or SQL etc)
If you have database type technologies on the client as well as file system data then buy the agent for the technology instead.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

to expand on Colin's response a little

You still need a RAWS installed to backup the file system and registry of a remote Database Server, but you get one RAWS with each Database serial