Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A deduplication storage folder with that name already exists

milty99
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

I have had a setup of BE 2010 trail version setup in a test environment. I had Deduplication working to a local storage folder. I then reinstalled Backup Exec 2010 (trial version). I now get the following error when i try to install a deduplication storage folder. 

A deduplication storage folder with that name already exists

I have rebooted, reinstalled twice, removed all referance to Symantec and BE using regedit. Deleted all referance to the original storage folder and also the program files for BE and SQL all with no luck?

I followed all of the pain that spinnetho (https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/cannot-recreate-deduplication-storage-folder) went through during the same issue that i am seeing. Although the issue was resolved there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer as to what cured the issue.

Can anybody shed some light on it for me please?

kind regards

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Beav
Not applicable

I know this is old but wanted to put my fix out there for other frustrated Admins out there looking for solution.

I connected to the database using SQL Server Management studio and conncected using Servername\bkupexec

I first created a backup using Managemnt Studio.

I found information about the original DeDup Storage Drive in 2 tables in the BEDB database

In the dbo.Drive table I found mention of DeviceID's that had a name of Puredisk and some that had dedup in the name. I went to remove them but to do that I first had to remove the devices in the dbo.MachineDevice table with matching ID's where machineID = DeviceID.

I then restarted the machine for good measure , and was then able to recreate the DeDupe volume with no issue.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

FischerRoman
Level 3
Partner
puredisk itself is a very good product, but the implementation / platform change from linux/unix to windows wasn't done very well as it looks like.

i cannot recommend Dedup until BE2010R2 or BE2010 SP1 will be released, there are many issues still unsolved with this.

marketing makes a really good job selling dedup, but technically it seems to be still beta.

Beav
Not applicable

I know this is old but wanted to put my fix out there for other frustrated Admins out there looking for solution.

I connected to the database using SQL Server Management studio and conncected using Servername\bkupexec

I first created a backup using Managemnt Studio.

I found information about the original DeDup Storage Drive in 2 tables in the BEDB database

In the dbo.Drive table I found mention of DeviceID's that had a name of Puredisk and some that had dedup in the name. I went to remove them but to do that I first had to remove the devices in the dbo.MachineDevice table with matching ID's where machineID = DeviceID.

I then restarted the machine for good measure , and was then able to recreate the DeDupe volume with no issue.

I ran into this very problem, only in addition to deleting the database entries you did, I also had to delete four rows in dbo.Device that referenced the old dedupe store and PureDisk devices.

What happened was, in the confusion of trying to separate this media server from a defunct CASO server, the old CASO server referenced a nonexistient tape device with the same name as the dedupe store. There was a device name collision as a result.

Perhaps next time I see a name collision like this I'll rename one of the two devices before removing them.