cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A job that runs on multiple tapes stuck at one tape

samuelBE
Level 4

Hi I have a backup job that runs on multiple tapes, but when i run it , after filling the first tape , it couldn't auto-load the second tape.  I use HP 1x8 G2 Autloader and symantec backup exec 2010 R3, 

For media changer on the device manager, it uses unknown media changer ( the Microsoft one)  but I don't think the problem have something to do with robotic library because i runs a job normally ( as in doing so it automatically pick one tape from the tapes on magazines) and the inventory also works fine.

I use a media set, i have created and have associated  all the tapes with it, and i can see all the tapes are on the Online Media.

Do you have any idea what could be the problem?

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Check whether there is any outstanding alert asking you to insert an overwritable tape.  If so, then you do not have enough overwritable tapes for the job.  Make sure you have sufficient overwritable tapes BEFORE the start of your job. Click on the Media tab and to do.

samuelBE
Level 4

Yes ,..i got the alert... but i think i have enough over-writable tapes....i mean in the first place, if it had calculated it would take more than three tapes , why does it fill the first tape. 

And about overwrite .. the tape are empty ... and there a week  a head for overwrite to expire. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

why does it fill the first tape

What makes you think that the job does not fill the first tape? 

To check when a tape is overwritable, you have to click on the tape and check the Overwrite protection until tape statistic.  The tape can be empty, but it can also be still protected.  If you want to make sure that a tape is ovewritable then associate it with the scratch media set.

samuelBE
Level 4

yeah .. i have checked the overwrite period it say 8/2/2013 ( as today is 7/27/2013 ) ...

and the append is 7/28/2013 ...

and the tape was running on 7/26/2013...

Kunal_Mudliyar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I use a media set, i have created and have associated  all the tapes with it

If you have already associated your tapes to a media set they are already protected from getting overwritten before even the job is run.

Backup Exec after running the job will automatically associate the tapes to the media set specified in the job but if you do it already it wont find any tape to overwrite/

I would suggest to keep the empty/fresh tapes in the scratch media set and run the backup

After the backup the tape will move from scratch to your media set which you have specified in the job

When the job spans from 1 tape to another the 2nd tape should always be an overwritable tape (not  appendeble), either a fresh tape or a tape which has expired its overwrite protection

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5459 < Sums up the media management quite nicely

pkh
   VIP    Certified

i have checked the overwrite period it say 8/2/2013

This means that the tape is protected until 8/2/2013.  It cannot be overwritten until then.  The append period does not matter for the 2nd tape because BE will not append to a second tape.  It needs an overwritable tape for the 2nd and subsequent tape.