cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A network connection to the server could not be established

Curtis_Hawthorn
Level 2
When backing up one of our Netware servers, the job always fails with this message: "The job failed with the following error: A network connection to the server could not be established." According to the log, the job will sometimes only get as far as backing up some of the schema and sometimes it will get all the way to the verify step. But before the job is complete, it will always fail. We have a number of Netware servers that are very similar and this is the only one that is giving up problems. If I run a test job, it will always succeed. Here is what the log shows under Job Completion Status:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe28 - A network connection to the server could not be established.
Final error category: Job Errors

I have tried setting the authorization credentials again several times, and they always test as working.

How can I fix this error?
4 REPLIES 4

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

What account are you using for the backup job? Try creating a new account with .administrator.context which should be used under resource credentials and then run the job.

If the problem persists, do write back to the forum. In case we do not receive your update within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Curtis_Hawthorn
Level 2
We are using a system-wide account called back. This same account works fine on our other Netware servers and does not give any problems when doing a test run. I know the permissions are okay because we have been using this account for years under the old BackupExec 9 software.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please try the following suggestions:
- Update the Netware agent.
- Enable restrict anonymous on Media Server. Refer the following technote.
Title:
How to enable support for "Restrict Anonymous" when using Backup Exec 8.6, 9.x, and 10.0 for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/238618

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jermaine_Tyler_
Not applicable
In the backup selections list, drill down into all of the volumes/folders that you are backing up and look for a missing 'folder icon' next to one of the volumes or folders. I recently discovered that the Novell BorderManager volume was not being backed up. There was no folder icon next to this volume and thus the backups ended up stopping at that volume. I don't know why there is no icon but I am still researching.

I have found some documents stating that there is a license issue with BorderManager. Anyhow, my BorderManager volume is not currently being backed up until I found the solution. Hopefully this helps you find the source of your problems.