Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A new Backup Exec logon account is unable to connect

Barkah_MLPT
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I have create a new backup exec logon account on the Manage Logon Accounts, with the correct credentials.

But, i could not connect into Backup Exec 2012 server by using the new logon account with the following additional information :

"Unable to connect to the service."

Then I try to change the account name at all Backup Exec services with the new logon account. But, all backup exec services could not restarting. When I resetting to old logon account, all backup exec services can restart normally.

What the problem with the new logon account? How I can connect into backup exec server by using the new logon account?

Thank's,

Barkah

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Barkah_MLPT
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi all,

Thanks for your help and support. Apologize, I'm late to update.

After I tried several ways, I have the solution for this problem with the following rules :

1. Set/Add the domain user account into Backup Operators user group in local system user management

2. Set the user account as a restricted logon account on the BE logon account manager

Now, I can login/connect into Backup Exec server using the new logon account. :)

Thanks

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Vasilis_Peppas
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello

Have you changed the services to use the new account?

Vasilis_Peppas
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Sorry didn't read correctly

What are the attributes of the new logon account? 

cruisen
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Barkah,

you could run the service utility you know with the green arrow on the gui and then re-add the credentials that you use to loggon, after that it will recreate the entries and you should be able to get it work. Use the BE service acount credentials there. Check with the active directory user.

Best regards,

Cruisen

Barkah_MLPT
Level 3
Partner Accredited

The new logon account attributes is domain user account. I have type the username and password is correctly into Manage logon account..

Vasilis_Peppas
Level 4
Partner Accredited

It has to be a domain admin account to work correctly. Try copying the old BE account to the new one you want to use so that it will inherit all the appropriate settings

BR

Vasilis

Barkah_MLPT
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi Cruisen,

I have add/re-edit  the credentials account on BE services manager.
Then when I click Restart all services, all of services could not running. 

Barkah_MLPT
Level 3
Partner Accredited

The old BE account is a Administrator of domain account. I need to create a regular user for operator with permission access is only monitoring.. How I can do that?

Vasilis_Peppas
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Again

If I remember correctly you can try setting the account as restricted in the backup exec account manager.

Then try the new user (you must at the very least add hin to the backup users) and also add him in Backup exec. I think that will allow him to log on to backup exec but when they trie to change anything they will have to give the admin password. So unless they know the password all they can do is monitor. There is a possibility that you might have to recreate the backup jobs after you set the admin account to restricted.

Give it a try and let me know

BR

Vasilis

Barkah_MLPT
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Ok Vasilis, thanks for your information.

I have set the new logon account as a restricted logon account. But the problem is :

1). I still could not use the new logon account to login (connect) into BE server console

2). I have try to set the new logon account into BE services. But all services could not running back, after I've restarted.

Why the new logon account is not match with the BE services?

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Barkah,

Check my article below and leverage the BE Remote Console:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-leverage-backup-execs-remote-console

I think this is what you mean...

Thanks!

Vasilis_Peppas
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Let me clarify

The services need to start with a domain admin account. So you have to set them back to the original domain user account. Then set the Domain user acount as restricted , not the new user. 

Also check out Craigs article, even though I havent tried it it sounds good ( Iwill try it as well). But first of all change the services to the domain admin account ( I think you can also set them to localsystem, it should work if you do not want to use the domain admin)

bert_geiger
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The BE service account can be a "normal" domain unser, but certain non-standard rights have to be granted; cf. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH184449

If I understand Barkah correctly, he is looking for a 'User-based Access Control", and - unfortunately - that does not exist with BE... If you can access the GUI at all, you have full rights, only partly modfied by using a "restricted" account, and that type of account is only used for connecting to specific resources (e.g. for backups and restores).

Barkah_MLPT
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi all,

Thanks for your help and support. Apologize, I'm late to update.

After I tried several ways, I have the solution for this problem with the following rules :

1. Set/Add the domain user account into Backup Operators user group in local system user management

2. Set the user account as a restricted logon account on the BE logon account manager

Now, I can login/connect into Backup Exec server using the new logon account. :)

Thanks