cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A new setup to run Remote Agent on SBS 2008

Rob_Muller
Level 4
Hello all,

First of all, I realy appreciate what a resource this community has been for me. It's helped a lot since I'm totally new to maintaining an office network and all the details that involves.

So here's the setting: We have an old server (OLDSERV) running SBServer 2003, and a medium-age server(MEDSERV) running Server 2003, and then we bought one new server(NEWSERV) to run SBServer 2008. We have two tape drives, Two 160gb USB external drives, and two Terrabyte USB external drives. NEWSERV we bought as cheaply as possible and therefore doesn't have the correct ports for linking up with the old Tape Drives. The USB Drives, as I'm sure you're aware, are not as fast, and therefore take a lot longer to backup. Whereas the tape drives take roughly 12 hours to do a full backup (full overwrite) every weeknight, the USB drives take roughly 48 hours to do one full backup every month. We own Backup Exec 11d, and are running it on OLDSERV to back stuff up, but are only using NTBackup for MEDSERV. Apparently the guy before me told me he accidently bought two licenses for Backup Exec, but no licenses for Remote Agent (does that sound odd to anyone else?).

Now I'm trying to figure out what is the best setup for my network. Right now we're running on OLDSERV as the primary, and MEDSERV as just a fileserver (i can't believe the guy before me didn't use it for anything). The NEWSERV is just sitting around begging me to play with it.

Here is my current rough draft plan: I figure I'll setup NEWSERV with SBS08 and leave the MEDSERV as Server 2003, letting it run some basic apps for our staff, and Print server and File Server on top of that. Then I'll let NEWSERV with SBS08 take care of Exchange, AD, DNS, DHCP, etc.

Here's where BackupExec comes in: Since MEDSERV has a tape drive and NEWSERV can't connect to it, if I install BackupExec on MEDSERV, and Remote Agent on NEWSERV, would they be able to both backup to one tape, then? I have BackupExec, but we've never used Remote Agent. The guy previous to me didn't know what he was doing any more than I do now. So I thought I'd get a head of the game and try to understand the software better. Does that even sound like a good plan? or is there a flaw in my thinking?

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
if you have a W2K8 server in the mix, you'll have to upgrade BackupExec to v12.0 or higher

That being said, one media server W2K3 or W2K8 could backup all three servers at your site by adding two Remote Agents

If you want to backup SBS2008 SQL or Exchange, you could make the SBS server the media server and put SBS version of backup Exec on it, or you could purchase one SQL and One Exchange serial and back it up over the wire (and get two Remote agents included)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
if you have a W2K8 server in the mix, you'll have to upgrade BackupExec to v12.0 or higher

That being said, one media server W2K3 or W2K8 could backup all three servers at your site by adding two Remote Agents

If you want to backup SBS2008 SQL or Exchange, you could make the SBS server the media server and put SBS version of backup Exec on it, or you could purchase one SQL and One Exchange serial and back it up over the wire (and get two Remote agents included)

Rob_Muller
Level 4
Thanks for your reply Ken. That was the information I needed to know!