Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A snapshot operation required by this job was unsuccessful

Georgia
Level 3
Partner

Hi folks

Got a minor issue that's a little confusing. We're running Backup Exec v12 and have a daily backup that includes flat files, SQL databases and Exchange w/ GRT and AOFO enabled.

Each day the backup completes successfully with exceptions. The email notification is as follows:

(Server: "<servername>") (Job: "Daily Backup") The job completed successfully.  However, the following conditions were encountered:

<#> files were skipped.
A snapshot operation required by this job was unsuccessful. Check the job log and the Windows Event Viewer for additional information.
Note:  The backup job was configured to use the Advanced Open File Option.  However, files were skipped during backup processing.  Please ensure that the Media Server <servername> is properly licensed with the Advanced Open File Option, or that the job is properly targeted for media servers that are licensed with the Advanced Open File Option.

If I double click on the Job History entry, a Job History tab opens - there's no Job Log tab - and therefore there's no details on the skipped files, snapshot issue, or AOFO licensing problem. Furthermore, there's nothing in the Windows Event Viewer that's relevant; the only entry has what is already detailed in the email notification.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there really shouldn't be having any AOFO licensing prompts, as it's included in Backup 12, and shouldn't there be a Job Log tab in the Job History dialog?

Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Georgia

Message Edited by Georgia on 05-09-2008 08:48 PM
5 REPLIES 5

Georgia
Level 3
Partner
bump

LHR
Not applicable
I am having the same issue, does anyone know of any resolution for this? How am I supposed to troubleshoot this when there is no job log and there are no relevant Windows Event Viewer entries?

Gavin_Levey
Not applicable
Open services and start Volume Shadow Services.
Open cmd prompt and type:
"vssadmin list writers" and check for errors

If there are errors, go to services and restart Volume Shadow Services

Go back to cmd and type:
"vssadmin list writers" and check for errors – there should be none.

Go back to services and stop the Volume Shadow Services – leave it in a stopped state – the application will start it when needed and stop it when done.

Also look at this article:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/276343.htm

Let me know if this helps!

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Ensure that AOFO option was installed during Backup Exec installed. It is a free option, but needs to be installed during installation. Go ahead and install it. If it has worked in the past, try rebooting the target server being backed up before running the job. Reboot would help correcting any issues with VSS writers.

Does the fact that AOFO is available in the job config mean that it was installed or is there a different way to see if it was.