cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A snapshot opperation required by this job was unsuccesful.

JosVerhallen
Level 4
Partner Accredited

HI,

One of our customers is using Backup Exec 2012 to backup a number of CIFS shares from a NETAPP SAN. the job gives the following output:

Could not completely protect remote computers because the Backup Exec Remote Agent was not installed.
A snapshot opperation required by this job was unsuccessful. Check the job log and the Windows Event Viewer for additional information.

As this is a NETAPP SAN i am talking about it will be impossible to check the Windows Event Viewer for this device. Also we have made sure the 'Use Advanced open file technology'  is not selected for this backup.

How is it that the job says a Snapshot opperation is required?

Kind regards,

Jos Verhallen

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

If you're using AOFO in the job, turn it off...since you can't install an agent on the NetApp, AOFO won't work.

Try that and report back...

Thanks!

JosVerhallen
Level 4
Partner Accredited

@CraigV,

As i have stated in my first post. we made sure AOFO is not selected in the backup job.

CraigV

Mmm...see that now!

OK, is all your data being backed up successfully and is it restorable? How have you selected the NetAPP in your selection list?

Thanks!

JosVerhallen
Level 4
Partner Accredited

All our data is being backed up and i am pretty sure it is restorable. I will get back to you on how the NetApp was selected.

i do know we have added the NetApp to BE2012 with its FQDN.

JosVerhallen
Level 4
Partner Accredited

i have added the selection as an attachment.

CraigV

...and you have a RAWS license installed on the media server? Check the byte count to see if the data is being backed up...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can ignore this warning which is due to the fact that the device being backed up is a NAS.

JosVerhallen
Level 4
Partner Accredited

@CraigV yes we have the RAWS license installed on the Media server. Also the byte count is correct.

@pkh, i will not simply ignore this message as it should not give this error for no reason.

SDunkin1
Level 2

I am experiencing a similar issue. Using BackupExec Appliance, attempting to back up a VMWare server with back-end LUNs attached to NetApp. My jobs do not include any AOFO settings.

It appears that my data is backed up, and restorable, but what is interesting is the event viewer messages on the destination server being backed up. It appears that the Snapmanager service is trying to mount a LUN snapshot copy during the backup, even though the VSS is deselected in the job.

Error message from my destination server;

Log Name:      Application
Source:        SnapDrive
Date:          5/15/2013 10:58:44 AM
Event ID:      241
Task Category: VSSSupport event
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      oxf-atl-tiv-001.oxfordinc.int
Description:
CreateTargetLun failed.

Storage System Name = ISCSI-VS3
lunPath = /vol/VM_UCS_VS3_RDM00/oxf-atl-tiv-001-e
Snapshot copy Name = {a57d0986-02ea-4fa7-b5b3-50b1e098046d}
Error code = 0xc00402e7
Error description = There are no initiators connected to the storage system "172.16.83.7".

SDunkin1
Level 2

@JosVerhallen - have you tried adding your NetAPP as a NDMP server instead (of course, you will have to have the NDMP license for your BUE server)?