cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the BackupE

Ag_BC
Level 4

Windows 2012 Std 64 bits. The backup Exec 15 FP3 has recently degraded. THe backup exec services services take long time to start and when I look into event log it show:

A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the BackupExecRPCService service

It will eventually connected to the console but take long time.. It will take longer to open the job, when u just click save job without making change, it will take long time and show disconnect. When you load the console, it will take long time to loading data because the console is available. The backup job take longer as well. 

I have uninstall all the novemeber 2016 microsoft patches and run repair of Backup Exec 15 FP3 and run extensive database repair. The problem presist.

I also log a case with Veritas 3rd line support. Has anyone come across this issue? Please do let me know.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The following is the resolution.

Please make below registry changes, On the BE server please make sure the value of "MaxRPCSize" to 5242880 (DECIMAL VALUE).

Reg path : HKLM\software\symantec\backup exec for windows\backup exec\server.

Now the value is 86255744, which is not right. (It seem the 5242880 was added as Hexadecimal). Please correct it and then reboot server and then check BE behavior.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi, Have you checked to see if any antivirus installed isn't perhaps actively scanning the BE services? If so, put in exclusions for them. Also see if there aren't times set for services start up and remove these. services.msc should show you per service (ie. 1 service waits a period of time while another starts up). Thanks!

I have my issues resolved via veritas backline support team after speak to 4 different engineers and 3 escalation managers. The issue was caused by the registry and i still don't understand why the registry was changed after the extensive database repair. Anyway I am so scare to upgrade or make change of the veritas backup exec as I don't know when this product is going to have issue. At the mean time I will leave the product untouch but if anyone has experienced issue and cannot be resolve by first or advance team, you should insist to have the backline to resolve it. I have faith to their backline team but their first and advance team is just hopeless and waste of time.

The following is the resolution.

Please make below registry changes, On the BE server please make sure the value of "MaxRPCSize" to 5242880 (DECIMAL VALUE).

Reg path : HKLM\software\symantec\backup exec for windows\backup exec\server.

Now the value is 86255744, which is not right. (It seem the 5242880 was added as Hexadecimal). Please correct it and then reboot server and then check BE behavior.