cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A very simple SDR does not work

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

I have freshly installed B Exec 2012 onto a standalone server Win 2008 R2.

I have 2 SATA hard drives connected to motherboard and they are seen as device 0 and device 1.

I am using an external USB West Dig drive to house my B2D folder.

I have successfully performed a Full backup of this media server and all the .bkf files are in the proper B2D folder.

Question

I run the SDR wizard (boot from CD) and when I am asked which storage device contains the backup data, I select the BEData folder and am provided with the following error:

"The media for some of the backup sets could not be found in the selected storage devices. Add another disk storage device that contains media required to restore the backup set."

The BEDRWIZ.log says "Error - Media for the backup set C cannot be found in the device media label searched B2D0000003"

(But it doesn't search the other B2D labels. Moreover, the job history reports that the job used B2D00009 and higher.)

Thoughts? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can do what you just did or just point SDR the the latest .dr file and it will in turn point to the latest backup set.

When you do a restore, whatever on the disk will remain on the disk.  The restored information is overlayed onto the disk.  Hence your newly created file is there.

If you want to properly simulate a SDR recovery, then you should wipe the entire server before doing your SDR recovery.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Did you try using the .dr for the backup?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just to expand on pkh's comment, when you build the SDR ISO, it will probably contain a .DR file for the last SDR backup set created before making the ISO. If you then run some more SDR enabed backups the .DR file will change to match the latest media (but this will not be in the ISO?DVD you have already created.

As you say it is asking for B2D00003 and you now have B2D00009 this shows you have run more backups since you made the ISO/DVD

Now you don't need to keep creating new ISO images, all you need to do is keep copies of the .DR files and select the latest one as part of the SDR process.

Note it is possible that you might have a .DR file in the same place as B2D00009 and can use that one.

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

I downloaded the generic SDR BExec 2012 ISO. (Im not sure if i got from fileconnect or from where else)

The .DR file in original location and alternate location were the same. My issue layed in the dialog box asking for a point in time recovery and I selected the one which reflected the B2D00001...but thiose were failed backups. Once I selected the latest point in time, the recovery completed.

However, when I rebooted into Windows, it appears that the recovery wasn't actually performed. Reason I say that is becasue after I had performed a Full backup, I created a new text file under Users\Public Documents. I expected that file NOT to be resident once my machine was recovered. However, the file was created.

So, it does not appear that my machine was "recovered". What esle would explain this?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can do what you just did or just point SDR the the latest .dr file and it will in turn point to the latest backup set.

When you do a restore, whatever on the disk will remain on the disk.  The restored information is overlayed onto the disk.  Hence your newly created file is there.

If you want to properly simulate a SDR recovery, then you should wipe the entire server before doing your SDR recovery.

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

Thank you.