cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADAMM Failures on LTO2 Only

Will_Estes
Level 4
I have an Overland Neo 2000 library working over fibre channel with two LTO1 drives to Backup Exec 11D 64 bit on Windows Server 2003 64-bit.   As soon as I installed LTO2 drives, make sure the Symantec LTO2 drivers are installed, and reboot, I see errors in the eventviewer for ADAMM announcing that GetDriveInfo (or some similar API call) fails on start.    I then try to do a quick erase on either of two LTO2 drives, and it hangs.   I see in the application eventviewer another ADAMM failure that the drive unload status could not be obtained.

The fibre cables, fibre card, and library all work, and I can make everything work again by putting back LTO1 drives.   With either of two LTO2 drives (from different suppliers no less), it stops working and gives these various ADAMM errors.   

Has anyone seen similar symptoms before, and what kind of error in hardware does this suggest?

9 REPLIES 9

Will_Estes
Level 4
As a follow up to original post, if we connect the host to the library and LTO2 drives by just SCSI, it works.   So going through fibre to LTO1 works, but going through fibre to LTO2 fails.  

Any thoughts on why the backup to LTO2 fails only going through fibre, and why the same fibre setup on LTO1 works?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Any thoughts on why the backup to LTO2 fails only going through fibre, and why the same fibre setup on LTO1 works?

That would be a question for your hardware vendor.  Backup Exec should be able to use the LTO2 drive regardless of how it is connected.

Will_Estes
Level 4
And what is your proof that this is a hardware problem?   If you are the hardware vendor, and you hear that your library works with

LTO1 over SCSI
LTO1 over fibre
LTO2 over SCSI

but fails with LTO2 over fibre, the hardware vendor is just going to point blame at the software vendor and say they didn't communicate correctly with hardware that obviously does work.

What would be nice would be some kind of software utility that helps to characterize what is failing to respond correctly and examine the actual request as well as the actual response.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Backup Exec will use the tape drives the same way regardless of how they are connected.  It sends the same commands to the tape drive if it connected via fibre or SCSI.  We know the drive works as it does write data while connected via, but we will need to have a SCSI trace run on the drive while it is connected via fibre to find out why it is having problems righting data.  Your hardware vendor will be able to run a SCSI trace for you on the drive and should be able to pin point where the problem is.

Will_Estes
Level 4
Well Overland claims to not be able to do a SCSI trace.   And in this case I guess it would be a fibre trace because the drives that fail over fibre work over SCSI.

Note we have rebuilt the entire configuration from scratch:  new library, new drives, new fibre channel bridge, and new fibre cable.   And we precisely duplicate the result.   That to me says this is not some trivial piece of hardware just failing.   Rather it is some unusual combination of things, perhaps the Symantec HP LTO2 driver is formatting the commands with some slight variation that the Overland fibre bridge cannot handle well.

What would be the best solution to this problem (and any similar hardware involved issue) would be a command line tool that sends an array of well-known commands to the device, then carefully documents the data it gets back.   If that data could be exposed easily to the hardware vendor, or better yet be stored in some way for playback by the vendor to his own equipment in his lab, that would go a long way to resolving the problem.  The hardware vendor might come back and point out errors in the Symantec drivers request structure for example.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
I'd like to take a look at some of the logs from the server.  Run through this technote for me and enter all 4's for the case number.  Also select upload via ftp when prompted.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/285911

Bald_From_Netwo
Level 3
I am having similar issues with 2 different systems.

System 1:    Hp DL380 G3 Windows 2003 Enterprise Spk1 2 Gig Memory Laterst Hp drivers and firmaware
                         Internal AIT 8mm drive.

Symptom  After updating to 11d 7170 Spk2 drive will format inventory and pass all HP Tapetools
                         tests, but about 1 minute into a backup it fails with a Adamm Mover error Id 33152
                         Error_Invalid_Parameter

System 2:   HP DL 360 G5 Windows 2003 Spk2 Ent 2 GB Memory latest drivers and firmware. U320A
                       controller dedicated to external 1/8 Autoloader with Ultrium LTO3 drive. Same symptons

Scott Mahanes

Will_Estes
Level 4
blipsey, please review Symantec case number 290-892-869 which is now closed.   If there are specific logs you want to see that are not associated with that case, let me know and I'll run through the procedure you suggest.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Will,

What kind of fibre cards are you using in the server?