cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADBO and Differentials?

kyle_beckham_2
Level 4
Can ADBO work with Differentials or only incrementals?
5 REPLIES 5

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Kyle,

Could you please elaborate on the issue?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

kyle_beckham_2
Level 4
I am not sure what more there is to explain here!

My question is does ADBO work with differential backups? to create a synthetic full backup....

All of the documentation only mentions incrementals, but never differentials. So we want to verify that it will work with differentials before we purchase this option for our existing backup exec servers.

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
My understanding is that ADBO does a full backup to disk (a baseline backup), then retains that backup, and only takes incremental backups to update the baseline. This means you only need to do incremental backups, yet you still have the equivalent of a full backup which you can duplicate to tape.
So to turn your question around, why would you want to do a differential backup? Doing an incremental gives you the equivalent of a full backup.
Unless I am misunderstanding you.

kyle_beckham_2
Level 4
Well there are many different scenarios for using different methods.

For one we wouldnt be running the synthetic every night. So it would be easier for us to restore files from B2D files for diffs than from incrementals etc.

So still, i need a clear answer as to if the ADBO will work with diffs or not.

thanks for your time.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please note that if you want to perform a synthetic backup then you will have to perform Full+ Incremental backup.
In this case differential will not work.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.