cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOFO Best Practices

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

Hello,

I currently use different versions of Backup Exec SBS ranging from version 11d to 12.5 among about 15 clients that the company I work for Manage. All clients either have a Windows SBS 2003 or SBS 2008 server pretty much doing everything for the business, (exchange, Active directory, SharePoint, File Server etc).

What would be the best practices for using AOFO when backing up an entire system. I know that AOFO should not be used on exchange because it only takes a snapshot preventing the restore of an individual mailbox/email to be restored. But what about things like System State Data, and Shadow Copy Components? Should AOFO be turned on to back up these services?

I have been searching the web for the past couple of days trying to get a definitive answer so it can now become a standard for all of our clients. Any help from you guys out there on how you set your backup system up would be greatly appreciated as well.

BTW if it helps a IBM LTO tape system is being used as the media.

Thanks in Advance.
Peter
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Ws 2003 and later automatically uses the AOFO for system state and shadow copy components. In 2008 the complete backup from backup exec itself is snapshot backup and same is with exchange 2007 and exchange 2010.

Now if you want to do the backup of c and d drive then you can definately use the snapshot option to backup the files that are open or in use while doing the backup. The best thing is to use the windows vss snapshot from the drop down and not to use it automatically. It is best to use vss as it is provided by the Windows. Also from 12.5 onwards we don't install aofo on ws 2003 and later and we can simply select the aofo option from the BE console and under the ADVANCED FILE OPTION we can use vss by windos to do the snapshot backups.

It is RECOMMENDED not to use the snapshot for the databases.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

sksujeet
Level 6

Ws 2003 and later automatically uses the AOFO for system state and shadow copy components. In 2008 the complete backup from backup exec itself is snapshot backup and same is with exchange 2007 and exchange 2010.

Now if you want to do the backup of c and d drive then you can definately use the snapshot option to backup the files that are open or in use while doing the backup. The best thing is to use the windows vss snapshot from the drop down and not to use it automatically. It is best to use vss as it is provided by the Windows. Also from 12.5 onwards we don't install aofo on ws 2003 and later and we can simply select the aofo option from the BE console and under the ADVANCED FILE OPTION we can use vss by windos to do the snapshot backups.

It is RECOMMENDED not to use the snapshot for the databases.

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6
Thanks for your quick reply.

I see what you saying and have just checked it out. Like you said "Shadow copy componets" and "System State" use VSS even if the AOFO is not ticked in the backup job Properties.

As far as exchange goes, am I right in saying there should be a dedicated backup job running just for exchange with AOFO disabled?

Also what about SQL instances and databases? Going by what you said the job should be configured so that it DOESN'T use the AOFO?

Thanks Again.
Peter

sksujeet
Level 6
You got it right now make sure if you are using the exchange 2007 then it is snapshot by default but if it is exchange 2003 or exchange 2000 then please DON"T  USE AOFO for the exchange and make a different selection list for them and same for SQL

tech29
Level 6
Yes, you may certainly backup exchange along with sql in one selection list.   The exchange 2007 backups will be by default snapshot based.

Regards,
tech29

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

Could I use the same selection list for both exchange and SQL? as neither of them should use AOFO?

You said that Exchange 2007 by default uses a snapshot. I assume this is by design and does not need to be changed?

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6
Thanks for the information it has helped a lot. One last question that isn't really related to this thread but someone may be able to help.

When I backup exchange 2003 direct to tape it does not allow me to restore an individual mailbox or folder. I cannot expand futher than the Mailbox Store level. I Have got the option ticked that says "allow for individual mailbox restore" and I am using a full backup not a snapshot.

I have been reading posts that say if you want to restore it needs to stage the entire data store in a temp location first before it can restore that individual file. That is fine and I do not have a problem with that, but I would expect to still see the individual mailboxes when creating the restore job. Even after doing a catalogue the issue still remains.

I have also read that one method is to create a new job to duplicate  backup sets which i believe (and i may be wrong) copies the data from the tape and stores it on the local harddrive but it appears as a standard backup job.....? From this point you are able to restore individual mailboxes from it.

Can anyone comment on this or have any ideas on what i'm doing wrong.

Thanks
Peter

sksujeet
Level 6

that is true

tech29
Level 6
Hi Peter,

There can be number of issues why you are not able to see individual mail items in the restore view when the backup is taken on tape.

The follwing link and its corresponding related documents should help you resolving this issue.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/295131.htm

let me know if you have anymore questions.

Regards,
tech29

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

Thanks for that link. I tried the points that it suggested but it still does not allow me to see individual mailboxes when the source device is a tape. I am in the process of duplicating the backup set to a hard drive folder to see if this makes any difference. I guess this is a work around but it would still be useful to see what emails/mailboxes were on the backup tape before performing the duplicate backup set.

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

Just to give everyone an update, the duplicate backup set has finished and I can now see each individual mailbox and restore items that way. It would still be nice to see each individual mailbox when looking at the backup from the tape system though....

tech29
Level 6
Hi Peter,

It seems to be a permission issue here.. Backup exec backups exchange data in a different way when it backs up the data to a disk.  There are some requirements in order to have a successful GRT based backup of exchange IS on tape.

Go through the following link and make sure the backup to tape is configured the same way given in this document.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/249456.htm

let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
tech29

tech29
Level 6
Hi Peter,

These are the requirment for exchange GRT backup on tape:

The account which you are using to take backup of exchange IS to a tape should have folliwng rights.

1> the first five character of the account should be unique, example : if you have administrator and you are trying to use admin then it is not unique.
2> The account should have active mailbox
3> The account should be part of domain admin group.
4> The account should not be hidden  in GAL (Global Access List)
5> should have exchange full administrator rights.

Please make sure all thse conditions are met.

Let me know if you need further assistance.
Regards,
tech29

tech29
Level 6
Hi Peter,

Any update on this?

Regards,
tech29.

Please mark this as solution if this has resolved your issue.

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

Yeah, I can confirm that after unhiding the administrator account from the GAL I can see individual mailboxes directly from the tape.

The only issue that now remains is not being able to see individual folders in the public store......

Dev_T
Level 6
The only issue that now remains is not being able to see individual folders in the public store......

Public Folder granular restore data will NOT show up in restore selections if the backup job is written to tape. This is a limitation of MAPI. We are not able to get enough information from Active Directory to associate the Public Folder data with its actual location. This is not a problem with restore selections from backup to disk folders due to the dynamic way we can read the Exchange database using the VFF technology.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/understanding-grt-backup-and-restore-functionality-symantec-backup-exec.

Workaround:
Run a duplicate job from the TAPE on the Disk to view Public folder granular view.

Hope this helps....

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Peter,

To expand on the Exchange query...

GRT backups to tape don't allow you to restore individual items correctly. You DO need to stage them to disk.
However, ANY Exchange restore is always going to temporarily restore Exchange to disk. By default this is C:\Temp. You will need to change this under Tool --> Options --> Microsoft Exchange  to a drive with more storage than the size of your Information Store for restores to run properly.
Craig

tech29
Level 6
Hi Peter,

Any update on this ?

Regards,
tech29

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

Hey Guys,

It all makes sense now. As suggested above I didn't have the administrator shown in the GAL. Once this was added I re ran the backup of exchange to tape and it worked fine.

In regards to not being able to see individual folders in the public store it appears as suggested by DEV T that it is a limitation of the MAPI component. That is fine as it can be duplicated to disk and then viewed. I was more curious to know whether it was something else that was not setup properly.

Thanks for all your help :)

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi peter,

Can you give the solution to the guy that helped you solve this?

Thanks!