cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOFO: Initialization failure on drive:

phumlanitpt
Level 2

Hi Guys,

I have been getting problems with my backup since the beggining of last month and everytime we sort one out, like acne, one just seems to pop out again. This time i'm struggling with this one, Advanced Open File Option, Symantec Volume Snapshot provider, goes on to say that AOFO was unable to get quiet time for physical volumes. What's strange is that the backup runs at night from 1am and there's very minimal activity then. What's even more stranger is that i went on to disable the feature and yet it still complains about it,Please help, anyone.

10 REPLIES 10

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What OS are you trying to backup?  You should not be using VSP unless you are using Windows 2000.  For Windows 2003 and up, you should be using VSS, either let AOFO automatically choose the technology or specify VSS.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

alextovey
Level 4

If it is windows xp, try installing the Microsoft VSS addin for xp. then reboot and select this manually from the backup exec job list.

This fix helped me when i was getting the "queit time" issues.

phumlanitpt
Level 2

Pkh, i'm running Windows 2003 Server, will try that and see.

Craig V, with regards to changing the setting for quiet time, im just worried about the inconsistency with the backup.

Alex, can i also use VSS even with Server 2003?

CraigV

VSS ships with Server 2003 and above...no need to install anything.

Not sure what you mean by the inconsistency with backups...?

alextovey
Level 4

Phumlanitpt: try this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833167

I beleive they released a update for it.

John_Bonaccorso
Level 4

If you are still having the trouble after attempting the solutions provided above, would you mind copying/pasting the pertinent portion of the job log?  I've had quite a few scrapes with VSS and AOFO myself.  I do seem to recall that "can't get quiet time" popping up a few years ago.  Some of the key words in the log helped me find a solution that fixed it, just can't remember at the moment what it was.

phumlanitpt
Level 2

Thanks Guys, after taking your advice, my backup ran successfully. I can have a peaceful nights sleep now, all thanks to you.

Just have one more question though, why is it that a backup that used to take no more that 2 and a half hours now takes just close to 7 hours to complete?

CraigV

...in this case you'd have to check your job log to see where exactly it is taking the extra time. Maybe a reboot of the backup environment (server + drive) would be a good start too...

phumlanitpt
Level 2

Thanks Craig, i'll give it a bash