cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOFO - in general

Danijel_Brncic
Level 5
Hello,

I want to use the AOFO and read the chapter(s) about this option but I have some small questions:

I want to use Microsoft VSS.

When I mark e.g. whole c:\ drive, all the files, which are not accesible are written to the cache resp. snapshot?! Or is the whole partition cached? When I mark only e.g. c:\windows\ only the files there will be cached and backed up, so C:\Programs will not be touched by backup process AND AOFO?!

So, if e.g. I want to backup an Oracle Server, which Database is saved on c: and should not be touched by backup process or the AOFO, is it sufficient to demark that folder?

When making a snapshot of e.g. a locked system file, what happens there? I try to understand, what happens to the system while creating a snapshot. I could understand that as a pause or so. Probably someone coulöd write one or two sentences about that... If there is e.g. a really big system file which is locked, could the system "pause", so that working could be impossible?

Thanks a lot for maybe stupid questions :)

2 REPLIES 2

Danijel_Brncic
Level 5
Hello again...

I would be very pleased if someone could write an answer to that. I was searching for answers to these questions but couldn't find anything about that... probably someone knows more and could share his knowledge...

thanks a lot!

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
It's in the NetBackup forum, but my understanding is that Backup Exec uses the same snapshot method.