Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOFO on DBs

kakagol
Level 4

Hi everyone,

I'm referring to the locked thread

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/advantages-and-disadvantages-aofo   (in particular to CraigV)

Im facing the problem of backing up DBs, and jobs are succesful only when AOFO is enabled. Of course that defits the point of restoring in case of failure.

What should I do ? Disable AOFO again?

Thanks in advance...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Follow my article below and split your backups off...AOFO with data; DBs without it.

It works well.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backing-databases-and-files-same-tape-separate-jobs-using-backup-exec

Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV

Hi,

Follow my article below and split your backups off...AOFO with data; DBs without it.

It works well.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/backing-databases-and-files-same-tape-separate-jobs-using-backup-exec

Thanks!

kakagol
Level 4

Thanks Craig,

when you refer to DBs, do you only need to include DBs under Microsoft SQL Server?

How about Cubes Olap? or other files (i.e. with extension .abf ) that relate to SQL ?

To make it simple....should I choose only what BE identify as "Database" in the Type column?

Thanks

CraigV

You shouldn't be backing up flat files. So, in this case I mean an agent-level backup of SQL, Exchange etc.

So yes, choose what BE identifies as a Database...

kakagol
Level 4

Thanks done, though I still dont understand the reason of splitting the job.

OPTION 1 ( older setting )
Only 1 job including DBs, no AOFO. The job fails.

OPTION 2 (new setting)
1st job: DBs no AOFO
2nd job: Data with AOFO

Jobs will be running overnight, I am expecting the 2nd job to complete, not sure what is going to happen to the 1st job, as there are no relevant changes from OPTION 1.....

Also, what is the reason of the "DB job" to start before the "Data job" ?

(sorry if it is all not clear)

Thanks for your inputs!!

CraigV

Splitting them off allows you to run your data job with AOFO turned on, and the DB job with it turned off. AOFO can cause issues when trying to restore SQL DBs for instance (it doesn't allow a redirected restore), and I've personally had it stop Exchange logs clearing.

Now in terms of your error you're getting, post that here, or open a new forum topic around it for further investigation.

Thanks!

kakagol
Level 4

Thanks, Ive split jobs data with AOFO and DBs without. They were both succesful!!!

Thanks for that!

It is still unknown to me why other servers with SQL DBs are still backing up succesfully with no splitting and no AOFO enabled. Only this server kept failing and needed splitting......