cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOFO on Exchange Server

Administrator1
Level 3
Hi

I know that AOFO should not be used when doing Exchange backup. But on the Exchange server there are further files (unrelated to Exchange) that I do want to backup with AOFO.

Do I really need two policies one with AOFO disabled (for Exchange) and second for files with AOFO enabled? I do not like this idea because all settins except these are the same and If I have to change something I must not forget to do it also in the other policy..

Thx
Gerhard
4 REPLIES 4

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
You must turn off AOFO when doing the Information Store Backup.

So, you could have 2 selection sets and 2 jobs:
- one for the Information Stores only and one for everything else you want to back up.

Administrator1
Level 3
Hi

> You must turn off AOFO when doing the Information
> Store Backup.

A small question... This is a generall hint here in the forum. But it seem that this comes from daily experience of the users, doesn't it? Because in the manual there is no such hint. Further, when reading the manual, it semms to be perfectly ok, running AOFO when backuping the information store...

Gerhard

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
The Administrator's Guide says, "Because of a Microsoft Exchange limitation, snapshot and traditional backups are not interoperable when restoring Exchange data. Therefore, if traditional (non-snapshot) backups are performed as part of a data protection scheme, then snapshot backups should not be performed. Also, if snapshot backups are
performed, traditional backups should not be done."

Basically it says it'll work, but you'll have problems restoring if you also use non-AOFO backups.
If you were just reading the guide, this probably wouldn't mean anything to you.

Administrator1
Level 3
Hi

> The Administrator's Guide says, "Because of a
> Microsoft Exchange limitation, snapshot and
> traditional backups are not interoperable when
> restoring Exchange data. Therefore, if traditional
> (non-snapshot) backups are performed as part of a
> data protection scheme, then snapshot backups should
> not be performed. Also, if snapshot backups are
> performed, traditional backups should not be done."

Sorry for my confusion. But I backup everything with snapshoting. But if I turn off AOFO for Information store, the information store is the only thing that is not snapshoted and may cause problems?

On http://support.veritas.com/docs/266074 AOFO is not mentioned at all.

> Basically it says it'll work, but you'll have
> problems restoring if you also use non-AOFO backups.

I only have AOFO backups that's why I am confused that I should turn off AOFO for Exchange...

Gerhard