cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AOFO vs. None

mitch_sprague
Level 4

I'm looking for some experienced opinion please on the value of using the Advanced Open File Option in Backup Exec 2010 versus not using it and instead using the "with a lock" option when not using AOFO.  From what I have read the AOFO option is what we should be using but I am being told we should not because it has caused problems with Outlook Web Mail when an Exchange backup is under way.  Does anyone have any opinions or input they can provide that compares the two options?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Mitch,

First of all, with AOFO and DB backups, you wouldn't use AOFO. This is stated in the admin guide under each section (SQL, Exchange etc). This is known to cause a number of situations, like not being able to restore SQL to another server, or not clearing logs in Exchange.

AOFO with file is where it is really aimed at. Any open file can be backed up (as long as it isn't on the file exclusion list like an Exchange *.edb). I would recommend this.

So far in my environment (30 servers!), I haven't had anything happen to a user's email, or the Exchange IS when backing up Exchange while the user had Outlook Webmail open. The Exchange agent for example will ensure that you're able to do online backups.

If this has happened before, I am unsure whether or not you can blame BE for this...

Anyways, my suggestion would be to spluit Exchange/any other DBs away from data when backing them up. Backup your DBs WITHOUT AOFO, and back up your files/System State etc. WITH AOFO.

Hope this helps?

Laters!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

Hi Mitch,

First of all, with AOFO and DB backups, you wouldn't use AOFO. This is stated in the admin guide under each section (SQL, Exchange etc). This is known to cause a number of situations, like not being able to restore SQL to another server, or not clearing logs in Exchange.

AOFO with file is where it is really aimed at. Any open file can be backed up (as long as it isn't on the file exclusion list like an Exchange *.edb). I would recommend this.

So far in my environment (30 servers!), I haven't had anything happen to a user's email, or the Exchange IS when backing up Exchange while the user had Outlook Webmail open. The Exchange agent for example will ensure that you're able to do online backups.

If this has happened before, I am unsure whether or not you can blame BE for this...

Anyways, my suggestion would be to spluit Exchange/any other DBs away from data when backing them up. Backup your DBs WITHOUT AOFO, and back up your files/System State etc. WITH AOFO.

Hope this helps?

Laters!

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

With a lock

If BE successfully opens a file which is in use, the file will be locked while it is being backedup. Which means no other applications can write to that file till the backup of that file finishes.

Regarding AOFO read the below article written by BEsymc. It is really very much useful.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/advanced-open-file-option

Best Regards...

mitch_sprague
Level 4

Thanks Craig, that does help.  So AOFO should not be used for Exchange or any database servers but is ok for file server backup and the system files, etc.  Cool, that makes complete sense. 

mitch_sprague
Level 4

Thanks Kiran, I will read through the document for some background info.  Many thanks.

CraigV

Exactly...I have an article somewhere on how to split them and run them to the same tape, but cannot find it.

In essence, you create Job #1 with all DBs in...nothing else, and don't select AOFO. Run that job first. Job #2 contains everything else, and then runs afterwards, using AOFO.