cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARCserve to Backup Exec

John_Burg
Level 3

Hello everyone,

We are planning to migrate from ARCserve r16.5 SP1 to the latest Backup Exec. The plan is to do this without losing our old backups from ARCserve.

So my question is can we install Backup Exec in a cohabitational way with our ARCserve software?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

When installing BE with another backup software, you'll have to ensure the BE's backup schedules, vss snapshots do not conflict with ArcServe's.

Secondly, if using a tape storage, BE will take control of the tape storage and this cannot be shared by ArcServe unless BE's services are not running.

View solution in original post

Gurvinder
Would recommend to shut down arc serve services when BE is installed else may be a ndmp port conflict.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6

When installing BE with another backup software, you'll have to ensure the BE's backup schedules, vss snapshots do not conflict with ArcServe's.

Secondly, if using a tape storage, BE will take control of the tape storage and this cannot be shared by ArcServe unless BE's services are not running.

Gurvinder
Would recommend to shut down arc serve services when BE is installed else may be a ndmp port conflict.

John_Burg
Level 3

Thanks VJware and Gurvinder Rait!

This means that I can install BE next to ARCserve without any problems if I ensure there is no conflict with both schedules or disable all of ArcServe services right?

So when I need to go back then I could disable the services from BE and enable the services from ARCserve and there shouldn't be any problem?

VJware
Level 6

That's right.

John_Burg
Level 3

Great! Thanks again for the help.