cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AVVI GRT backup for MSSQL does not work

Systeembeheer1
Level 0

Hello,

I am looking for a solution for the following problem.

We have a few MSSQL server wich are backupped.

One of those two servers is backupped fine, but not the other one.

S-MSSQL-2 (the good one):

Media Label: IMG003408

GRT backup set folder: D:\B2D\IMG003408

Transport mode 'san' was used for the disk 'S-MSSQL-2.vmdk'

Transport mode 'san' was used for the disk 'S-MSSQL-2_1.vmdk'

Transport mode 'san' was used for the disk 'S-MSSQL-2_2.vmdk'

Transport mode 'san' was used for the disk 'S-MSSQL-2_3.vmdk'

Transport mode 'san' was used for the disk 'S-MSSQL-2_4.vmdk'

Transport mode 'san' was used for the disk 'S-MSSQL-2_5.vmdk'

Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'C:' on virtual machine '\\S-MSSQL-2.domain.local'.

Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'D:' on virtual machine '\\S-MSSQL-2.domain.local'.

Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'E:' on virtual machine '\\S-MSSQL-2.domain.local'.

Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'F:' on virtual machine '\\S-MSSQL-2.domain.local'.

Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'G:' on virtual machine '\\S-MSSQL-2.domain.local'.

Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'H:' on virtual machine '\\S-MSSQL-2.domain.local'.

Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'Volume{c855f6dc-326f-11e3-93f1-806e6f6e6963}' on virtual machine '\\S-MSSQL-2.domain.local'.

Backup Exec has discovered and protected Microsoft SQL Server data on virtual machine '\\S-MSSQL-2.domain.local'.

S-MSSQL-1 (the backup with problem):

Media Label: IMG003393

GRT backup set folder: D:\B2D\IMG003393

Transport mode 'san' was used for the disk 'S-MSSQL-1.vmdk'

Transport mode 'san' was used for the disk 'S-MSSQL-1_1.vmdk'

Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'C:' on virtual machine '\\S-MSSQL-1.domain.local'.

Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'D:' on virtual machine '\\S-MSSQL-1.domain.local'.

Backup Exec has discovered and protected 'Volume{3d4f84de-f8b1-11e0-85e2-806e6f6e6963}' on virtual machine '\\S-MSSQL-1.domain.local'.

The Backup Exec has discovered and protected Microsoft SQL Server data on virtual machine '\\S-MSSQL-2.domain.local'. Is missing in the S-MSSQL-1.
We already reinstalled the backup exec agent and remake the selection list, but without any luck.

We are using:
Backup Exec 2010 R3  V.13 (REV: 5204 (64-bit)

Please let me know what to do.

Thank you in advance.

Niels
DNA Services

7 REPLIES 7

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

What version of SQL is in both the working and faulty SQL servers?

Are the  SQL databsases and logs in standard VMFS based vmdk files or some other type of volume?

Is the remote agent installed inside the SQL server trusted to the media server?

If you attempt to create a traditional agent backup instead of a VMware agent one, can you see the SQL resoruces against the server?

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Neils,

I think from the above abstract from the Job log the backups are completed. Is there any error or exception in the Job log?

Also check the restore view for the server which has the issue and see if you are able to see the data for restore...

Regards,

-Sush...

saravanakumarte
Level 2

Hi

What is transport mode you are using

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
SAN, see the logs !

DNANOBEL
Level 4

Hi,

There is no error in the logging, but the line "Backup Exec has discovered and protected Microsoft SQL Server data on virtual machine '\\S-MSSQL-1.domain.local'." is missing in the backup log.

I checked the restore view and the data is not available to select, in order to restore.

Kind regards,

Andreas

DNANOBEL
Level 4

Hi,

I'm replying for Niels, he is my collegue.

S-MSSQL-1 (faulthy):

- Windows Server 2008 R2 +SP1 (64bit)

- MS SQL Server 2008 R2 + SP2 (64bit)

S-MSSQL-2 (working fine):

- Windows Server 2012 Standard (64 bit)

- MS SQL Server 2012 (version: 11.0.3000) (64 bit)

These are normal standard VMFS base VMDK files.

The remote agent installed is trusted to the media server.

If I create a backup via the traditional agent, it works fine for 4 days and some days the backup speeds drops to 125MB/min so we have to stop/cancel the backup job because it not finished on time. So this way of backing up is not working properly.

Extra info:

When I recreate the selection list of S-MSSQL-1 and also recreate the backup job it works for the first day, because I can see this info in the backup log:

"Backup Exec has discovered and protected Microsoft SQL Server data on virtual machine '\\S-MSSQL-1.domain.local'."

But when the backupjob runs on days after day 1, it doesnt show up anymore in the backup log.

When I try to select the SQL server in order to restore an database, only the data shows up for day 1. None of the other days after day 1 show up. (so I guess the AVVI GRT backup fails for the SQL Server, because the "discover" didnt work.)

Kind regards,

Andreas

Colin_Weaver

I would say that you need to log a formal support case for us to look at it further. Chances are there is a key difference between the server that works and the one that does not, but we need to look at backgound logging to analyze it which can't realy be done via teh connect forums.