cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access Denied to random names in Exchange 2000 Public Folder

Robert_Silber1
Level 3
Receive the following error message during the nightly backup to tape. The name of the contact varies from job to job and is never the same. The Exception message always contains garbage text. Backup Exec looks like it has full rights to the Company Contacts Public Folder. What would cause various records to lock like this? Any ideas?

Error:
Backup - \\ExSrvr\Microsoft Exchange Public Folders Access denied to file Company Contacts CMP Lorraine Parker.

Exceptions:
Backup - \\ExSrvr\Microsoft Exchange Public Folders The item \\ExSrvr\Microsoft Exchange Public Folders\Company ContactsŒ〰〰〰〰愱㐴㌷〹慡㘶ㄱ摣戹㡣〰慡〰昲㑣愵㤰〰㠸㈵㘷㈵ㄳ㡦搷㐴改㍢搴㝦愹昲㌶㙣〰〰〰〰㈵㘱〰〰㠸㈵㘷㈵ㄳ㡦搷㐴改㍢搴㝦愹昲㌶㙣〰〰〰〰㤵ㄶ〰〰CMP Lorraine Parker in use - skipped.

Thank you,

Robert Silberman
9 REPLIES 9

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Following steps will be useful to isolate and resolve this issue:
1) On target(Exchange) system, create a new user. Make newly created user a member of Domain Admin group and local Admin group of the Exchange server.
2) Create a mailbox for newly created user. Send an email from this newly created mailbox to a different mailbox.
3) Start Exchange system manager, by right clicking the organization start "Delegate control" wizard and grant new user "Exchange Full Administrator" rights.
4) Start Backup Exec, create a Logon account with same username and password as that of newly created mailbox enabled user. Make sure that the logon account is common logon account. To accomplish this, follow the steps given below:
-Start Backup Exec
-Select Tools > Wizards > Logon account wizard -Add new logon account, type in the credential for the new account.
-Make this account a common logon account.
-Complete the wizard.
5) Create a new backup job while connecting to Exchange mailboxes and select newly created user logon account.
6) Perform backup and verify the results.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Robert_Silber1
Level 3
Thank you. Will try your suggestion sometime later this week. Will reply with results then.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

You could also upgrde to ver 9.1

VERITAS Backup Exec 9.1 (tm) for Windows Servers revision 4691 (Single .ZIP download)]
<<>>

<<>>

<<>>

<<>>

<<>>
Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Robert_Silber1
Level 3
Upgraded to 9.1. Will see if that works Monday evening. The first suggestion you made did not make a difference. Still got the same errors.Message was edited by:
Robert Silberman

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Can you please update on the issue ? Does it still persists.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Robert_Silber1
Level 3
Yes, it is still a problem. I just have not had the time to continue working the issue as more urgent needs of some of my other clients have taken precedent. My work load is easing up and I hope to continue working the issue Wednesday the 8th.

One item of note. The problem does not happen if the back up runs immediately after a restart of the server. Thinking I should schedule a restart of the Exchange Information store prior to backup as a workaround to the problem. What do you think?

Thank you for your patience.

Robert

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,

We aplogise for the late reply!

Can you tell us the latest Update on the isseu?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Robert_Silber1
Level 3
The error message is still there. I'm going to ignore the error message and not worry about it. It's a minor issue and not worth further exploration.

Thank you for your time.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Issue solved.