cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access denied errors and faliure messages

slgoodman
Level 2
HI,

All of a sudden out of no where i have started to get these messages (see below). I am not sure what could be the issue. I have checked resource credientals and they have tested successfully. i have also checked on the services to make sure that they are running with the correct user and password. No passwords have changed. Can someone pleaes help me. 

Thanks,
Shauna  

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Thursday, December 17, 2009 at 10:14:40 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe7d - Access is denied.
To back up or restore System State, administrator privileges are required.
Final error category: Security Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65149

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup- servername
V-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: ... Snapshot provider error (0xE000FE7D): Access is denied. To back up or restore System State, administrator privileges are required. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Exceptions
Click an exception below to locate it in the job log

Backup- servername
V-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\servername\E:". Advanced Open File Option use... AOFO: Unable to get minimum quiet time for physical volumes. Reduce the activity on these volumes, o...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kelly_Wilke
Level 3
Since I am on v12 and not 12.5, I had to uninstall hotfix 331635 and that made everything work correctly.
Tried to go to SP4 on 12 and that did not work (it has hotfix 331635 rolled into it) so I uninstalled SP4 and then uninstalled 331635 and all is working well.
Hope this helps someone else.

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Shauna,

Have you always used AOFO, or is this being used for the first time?
Which provider are you using? THere are a lot of recommendations that state it's best to allow BEWS to choose its own provider.

Is there any sort of software maintenance (like SQL; virus scans etc) that are taking place during your backup window?

Laters!

slgoodman
Level 2
HI,

I am fairly new to using BUE. I believe AOFO has always been used. I wasn’t the one who created the backups, I just inherited them recently. I am not shore of what you are asking for when stating which provider? On the one server that is having the exceptions about the reduce activity, that is a database that gets backed up so it could be possible that someone is working on the database at that time. We do have a virus scan but that takes place on Fridays after 5.

Thank you for your assistance,

Shauna

redwing67
Level 1

Just started 2 weeks ago.  Can't think of any changes in our environment except for the Microsoft Windows updates...  "Resource Credentials/Test all" shows all are sucessful. 

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
OK...

1. The error stating Access is denied...is that a DC, or a normal server? If a normal server, add the service account you run BEWS under to the Local Admins group, and try the backup again.

2. For SQL, do you have an SQL agent?

Laters!

slgoodman
Level 2
That machine is a DC. on the DC in the services there is no SQL Agent, but there are SQL Sercer (BUE), SQL Server Brower, SQL Server Active Directory Helper, and SQL Server VSS Writer.

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

There are 2 errors in the job logs:
1  : Access Denied
2  : AOFO error

1  : Confirm that the Backup exec Service Account is a member of the Domain Admin Group.

2  : Install the VSS Rollup Patch on the problem Server : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940349 (REBOOT REQUIRED), this will resolve the VSS error.

jerzmanw
Level 2

The hotfix did cause the problem, but you can fix it by just adding the user account that is running the backup to the "Backup Operators" group. Of course, they still need to be in the "Administrators" and "Domain Admins" groups as well.
I hope this helps!

Thanks,
Jerry

If this answers your question, please mark this as the solution.

mr_spock
Level 2
I am having the exact same issue today after installing HF's 327039 & 334837.  The backups are only failing on the domain controllers DC's.  We are running v12.5 with SP3 and three additional HF's 336087 (prev applies - all was good), 327039 (applied 12-23-09) & 334837 (applied 12-23-09).  The account being used was already in the groups "Domain Admins & Backup Operators".  I added the userid to the group "administrators".  All other backup jobs are functioning just fine and all are using AOFO windows service.  I will try again. 

mr_spock
Level 2
Job still failed for the domain controllers.  The user account being used is a member of: domain admins, admins & backup operators.  There is no SQL running on these domain controller machines. 

mr_spock
Level 2

I removed the "system state" from the resource selection list and the full backup worked.  I backup the drives, shadow components & utility partition for the DC backup job.  I kept the "system state" for all other backup jobs, they are working, leave them alone.  Additionally, I restored the backup userid group settigs to their original: domain admins and backup operators.  There is a bug with HFs 327039 & 334837 while backup up the "system state" on domain controllers.  A good christmas gift - functioning backups!!  

JackK
Not applicable
Running the 32-bit version of 12.5 SP3 on a Small Business Server. Everything was fine until the last two hotfixes (noted above). Adding the Administrator to the Backup Operators Group did not fix. What to do? 

Kelly_Wilke
Level 3
Hello all,
I am getting the same exact error message.
It started last week.
I do not use AOFO at all and it is turned off, though I get this error message.
This has been working great for the past year and then this.
Since it is coming up on year end tapes I would like to be able to backup the entire system state.
It would be nice if there were a fix or someone from Symantec would hop on here and tell us what to do.
Thanks,
Kelly Wilke

Chris_Chapin
Level 3
I am working with Advanced Tech Support on this same problem.  I have a system with SP3 and hot fixes 334837 336087 and 327039 that gets this error.  I have another system that is identical (off same ghost image) and only has SP3 installed that does NOT get the error.  One of these hot fixes is the cause of the problem.

If they are able to find a fix other than uninstalling everything...I will post it

Chris_Chapin
Level 3
Uninstall HF 334837 fixes the problem.  You can uninstall it by opening Add/Remove Programs, make sure that the "Show Updates" box is checked and it will be in the list.  After the HF uninstall completes, you can just restart the services from the BE admin interface.

EdT
Level 6
....there are a couple of Microsoft updates that leave some files behind in folders under C:
The folder names are a long string of around 20 chars which appear to use random hex characters. Each such folder contains two subfolders, one named AMD64 and one named i386, if I recall correctly. There are usually some files in each of these subfolders.
The permissioning on these folders does not appear to allow a local admin account to delete any of these files or folders, so I suspect that access for backup would also be affected.
The only way I have found to remove these files is to open a CMD prompt using the AT service (the cmd prompt is then running with SYSTEM privileges), and delete the files and folders from the command line.
If your systems also have these folders, try removing them in the same way, or by booting to WinPE (which also works), and then see if it solves the other problems.

Kelly_Wilke
Level 3
I have a system with SP2 and it does not show the fixes in Add/Remove Programs.
Not sure what to do now.
Thanks,
Kelly Wilke

Chris_Chapin
Level 3

The system that this error was occurring on was a domain controller and the Backup Exec service account was a member of Domain Users and the domain local group Administrators.  The service account was added to the Domain Admin global group and removed from Domain Users (set Domain Admins as the primary group in order to remove Domain Users).   The BE services were restarted after the account changes were made.

SNAG-12-29-2009_01.jpg

The system state backup ran successfully after the account membership was updated.  If you check the job selection list, expand the System State section and you should see "Active Directory" listed as shown in the image.  If you do not see it, the permissions for the service account are not correct and the job will fail.  I reinstalled HF 334837 and the job still works properly.

Basically what is happening is that the service account does not have access to the AD files and HF 334837 makes BE aware of the problem, so the job that used to work now fails.  You will find that your System State job will grow larger since you are now backing up files that you should have been backing up all along.

Hope this helps...and maybe Symantec and put a KB to error V-79-57344-65149.

Kelly_Wilke
Level 3
Well, in your situation (Chris) this may have worked, but it is not working in mine.  The user that is doing the backup is part of the Domain Users, Administrators, and the Domain Admin global group since it was setup (which was well over 1 year ago) and it still does not work.  When I go in and check the job selection list, I do have "Active Direcotry" listed but I still receive this error.
So are you saying from your post that you must remove the user from the Domain Users group in order for this to work?

Kelly_Wilke
Level 3
I have removed that user from the Domain Users group and then made the Domain Admin group as the primary group.
Stopped then restarted the services.
I will report tomorrow morning on whether the backup in fact worked or not.