cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access denied errors and faliure messages

slgoodman
Level 2
HI,

All of a sudden out of no where i have started to get these messages (see below). I am not sure what could be the issue. I have checked resource credientals and they have tested successfully. i have also checked on the services to make sure that they are running with the correct user and password. No passwords have changed. Can someone pleaes help me. 

Thanks,
Shauna  

Job Completion Status
Job ended: Thursday, December 17, 2009 at 10:14:40 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe000fe7d - Access is denied.
To back up or restore System State, administrator privileges are required.
Final error category: Security Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65149

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log

Backup- servername
V-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: ... Snapshot provider error (0xE000FE7D): Access is denied. To back up or restore System State, administrator privileges are required. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Exceptions
Click an exception below to locate it in the job log

Backup- servername
V-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\servername\E:". Advanced Open File Option use... AOFO: Unable to get minimum quiet time for physical volumes. Reduce the activity on these volumes, o...
39 REPLIES 39

Kelly_Wilke
Level 3
Looked at last night's backup and the same error is what I received.
I will stop backing up the system state but this seems ridiculous to me

dgriffin99
Not applicable
Partner Accredited
Same issue on 12.0 Rev 1364.   Everything worked correctly until SP4 for Backup Exec 12.0 was installed.

I'm able to do system state backup manually, but not in combination with the "C" drive.  The server that runs the Backup Exec software is a domain controller and the Backup Exec service account is the domain administrator.

Joe90
Not applicable
I think the need to disable "System State" is if you have set the backup to use "Symantec Volume Snapshot Provider".

This link...

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/326302.htm

Has this interesting snippet...

"...AOFO Backup of Windows 2003 Machines with only Symantec Volume Snapshot Provider
selected will fail if Shadow Copy Components or System State are selected
because only VSS can be used to back these items up..."

So, I think you can keep System State if you let BE pick the AOFO technology to use.

Kelly_Wilke
Level 3
Since I am on v12 and not 12.5, I had to uninstall hotfix 331635 and that made everything work correctly.
Tried to go to SP4 on 12 and that did not work (it has hotfix 331635 rolled into it) so I uninstalled SP4 and then uninstalled 331635 and all is working well.
Hope this helps someone else.

Patrick_B_hm
Level 3
Partner Accredited
for me (12.5 SP4) it works after adding the domain in front of the backupaccount in backup exec.

Jkane1
Not applicable
Per this conversation. I went and uninstalled SP4. I am having the same issues as Kelly and it began after I installed the updates. It does require a reboot of the server so you will not be able to finish the uninstall during production. Hoping this works!

MikeW_CRC
Not applicable
I was also receiving System State access denied errors after installing SP4.  I just made the following changes and the backups are now completing without errors.  This solution does not require unchecking System State, nor uninstall of the service pack and reboot.

1.) Added Backup Operators group to the Backup Exec account used for backups
2.) Edited the credentials used for the job to add the domain in front of the user name (ie: DOMAIN\backupexec instead of just backupexec)

I did both at the same time and am pleased to get a successful backup.  However, it may be just one or the other that actually fixed it.

Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 with all updates and patches
BEWS 12.0 1364 x64 with SP4

Deatheye
Level 5
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/328487.htm

Check for this Hotfix. Caused us the same Problems with SP2.

Deatheye
Level 5
Ok I'm irritated. Why are some poeple talking about an SP4 on BEWS 12.5?
There is either 12.0 with SP4 or 12.5 with SP3
Please note which version you actually got. Seems both version are getting hit by this error. But maybe the fix for both is not identicall.
Right now I'm watching over 3 BEWS server.
1 x 12.0 SP4 running on Windows Server 2008 till now no problem.
1 x 12.5 SP3 Hotfix 334837 336087 3527039 running on the DC itself (win2008 SP2) Problem appears
1 x 12.5 SP3 Hotfix 334837 336087 3527039 running on win2008 SP2 Problem appears backing up windows 2003 DC

For both 12.5 installations I checked adding the backup user into the backup operators group. For one Installation this allready was configured.
Both Installations allready had the user entered into BEWS with domain\username

EDIT: Wierd is also that the error appears most of the time but not always...

Mike_Ostrowski
Level 2
Uninstalling HF 334837 fixed the problem for me.  Running 12.5 w/ SP3.
Thanks to those who suggested.

Deatheye
Level 5
Ok, sucks, uninstalled HF 334837 but the problem remains....?
Even after a reboot.

dfosbenner
Level 4
I've had the 0xe000fe7d issue ever since installing 334837.  I have three BE 12.5 SP3 media servers which are DCs, but only one with the error, so I wanted to fix it instead of uninstalling the hotfix.  On the server where I had the error, I needed to add the domain name and "\" in front of the service account.  After doing that, I did a backup of the System State and C:\Windows folder on the server, and it worked with zero errors.  I'll run the full server backup tonight. 

Mike_Ostrowski
Level 2

Strange... i had the domain name and "\" in place and had to uninstall hotfix before it worked. 
Mind that I work with in the 100's of servers and I've only had this problem on one of them thus far; though i can't say what percentage of servers have 334837 installed as of yet.

TechnaciousG
Level 2
Thank you, Patrick. You should get credit for this as this is the better solution. Simple and elegant. Makes sense, too. Better than uninstalling SP's or HF's, which are typically there for a reason.  Thanks again.

Mike_Ostrowski
Level 2
UPDATE - as the hotfix was reapplied (accidentally) to the server that was failing, I decided to troubleshoot again.  There was a second login accoutn on my server that was specified as domain.local\username.  This account was listed in the 'Resource Credentials' of the job.  So, despite having the Domain\Username account configured for all of the services and the default logon account, I just needed to change it within the jobs themselves. 

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Nicola,

Open up a new forum discussion...more people are likely to see it and respond to it.

Laters!

ferplast
Level 3

Any news about this problem?
This is my situatiuon: the Backup Exec server is member of DOMAIN1; with this server I backup also servers that are member of another domain (DOMAIN2) by adding other User Logon Account. Into BackupExec I've set a System account of DOMAIN1 (member of Backup Operators and Domain Admins) and this backup correctly the SystemState of the domain controller of DOMAIN1.
I've another job that backup the SystemState of the domain controller of DOMAIN2, I've set the logon credential of DOMAIN2 that is member of Backup Operatorsand Domain Admins but I receive ths error:

The error that I receive is:
e000fe7d - Access is denied.
To back up or restore System State, administrator privileges are required.
For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65149

BEFORE LATEST HOTFIXES ALL WORKS FINE ON BOTH SYSTEM STATE BACKUP OF BOTH DOMAIN CONTROLLER (OF DOMAIN1 AND DOMAIN2)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I think that is some bug/problem on the latest hotfixes.
Thanks fon any solutions
Nicola

bctf1
Not applicable
We are running BEWS for Small Business Server 2003 Ver. 12 rev. 1364 with SP4 and 336046 updates applied. The SBS 2003 R2 server is a DC, exchange server, etc. and is backing up to a Seagate USB external drive. During the last week and a half we have been getting the same access denied error when running full backups that include the system state. The backup was running perfectly before 1/20/10.

A Windows event is logged:
Event ID - 34113, Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed. The job failed with the following error: Access is denied. To back up or restore System State, administrator privileges are required.

The BEWS error reads:
Backup- ServerNameV-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "System?State". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS). Snapshot provider error (0xE000FE7D): Access is denied. To back up or restore System State, administrator privileges are required. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

As a test, I attempted a system state backup after making the 2 changes below and the backup failed with the same error above:
1.) Added Backup Operators group to the Backup Exec account used for backups
2.) Edited the credentials used for the job to add the domain in front of the user name. In our case the administrator account is being used for resource credentials, so I changed the account name to domainname.local\administrator.

Aside from the SP4 and 336046 updates, there are no other BEWS updates to uninstall. For now, I have removed the system state component from the backup selection to make sure that it completes successfully.

Any other ideas on what else I can try? Do I need to uninstall SP4 and 336046 updates and then uninstall 331635 like Kelly indicates above?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Open a new post please...more people are going to be able to see this...