cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access denied to database Mailbox Store (MED-MAIL).

Level 3
Access denied to database Mailbox Store (MED-MAIL).
WARNING: "\\MED-MAIL\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (MED-MAIL)" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
Database or database element is corrupt
Log Files

This is the message i get when trying to back up a single information store, any ideas what will solve this?
19 REPLIES 19

Adam_Mcneill
Not applicable
Do you have any more details on your setup?

Agents/options installed? Version of Exchange your trying to back up?

What kind of backup your trying to complete... brick level etc?

Abhinav_Bindroo
Level 6
Following link might be helpful

http://support.veritas.com/docs/269156

Level 3
I have just noticed that the message in Job Completion Status says
Job ended: Thursday, January 20, 2005 at 6:25:21 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xa0008488 - Access is denied.

Final error category: Security Errors

I am using the administrator to back up is there anyway i can check this has the right priveliges

Level 3
Adam

Thanks for your response
I have exchange and OFO options installed on the machine along with Backup exec 10. I am backing up Exchange 2003
I'm just trying to do an normal backup online of the Information Store mailboxes backup fine.

Jamie

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Check the Application log for any errors logged from Source ESE during the backup - this will most probably lead you in the right direction.

Level 3
John

Thanks for your response

The only events relate to the defragmentation of the priv.edb, this doesn't occur the same time as the backup.

Jamie

Varsha
Level 6
To isolate the cause of the issue run the backup of IS using NTbackup .

Generally this happens if the Information Store is corrupted.

gaurav_seth
Level 6
Greetings !!

Following technotes will be helpful for troubleshooting the issue:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/267692.htm
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/265159.htm
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/238618.htm

Hope this helps.

Ameet_Thakkar
Level 6
We presume that the step mentioned above has solved your problem. Let us know if the problem still exists and revert back with the error message.

Level 3
No unfortunately none of the documents were relevant to my problem

I have run a backup using the windows 2000 version and I get the following error
WARNING: Portions of "\Mailbox Store (MED-MAIL)" cannot be read. The backed up data is corrupt or incomplete.
This file will not restore correctly.

Zerene_Sangma
Level 6
We apologize for the inconvenience caused because of the delayed response. Pleases let us know if your issue / problem is resolved so that we can archive this post. However, if the issues still persist then we would like to know if you have performed a test back of the IS using NTbackup, what were the results. This will help in isolating the issue.

gaurav_seth
Level 6
Hello

In reference to our previous reply to your post, we would request you to update us on the progress. However, if we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Regards,
Gaurav

Level 3
have run a backup using the using NTbackup version and I get the following error
WARNING: Portions of "\Mailbox Store (MED-MAIL)" cannot be read. The backed up data is corrupt or incomplete.
This file will not restore correctly.

Kerm
Level 5
Sounds like a job for Exchange's ESUTIL to fix the mailbox problem. Read the TechNet notes carefully. You will lose data. ESUTIL just removes offending records.

Shyam_Sundar
Level 6
Hi,

Thank you for the update. Since the problem persists with NTBackup also, this clearly seems to be a Microsoft Issue. We would suggest you to contact Microsoft for the same.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to the "answered threads" pool.

Level 3
I uninstalled backup exec and re-installed it, everything now works

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,
Thank you for the update!
We will then go ahead and close this post.

Madhuri_Shenoy
Level 6
Closing post as per previous reply of user and moving the thread to the "answered questions" pool.

DITSup
Level 2
i got same issue in exec 9.1. see below

Backup - \\Server\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
Access denied to database Mailbox Store (Server).
Database or database element is corrupt

Backup - \\Server\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
WARNING: "\\Server\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (Server)" is a cor...

Event Type: Error

Event Source:     ESE

Event Category:   Logging/Recovery

Event ID:   478

Date:       9/3/2009

Time:       12:30:19 AM

User:       N/A

Computer:   MAX

Description:

Information Store (4436) The streaming page read from the file "D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.stm" at offset 3315605504 (0x00000000c5a02000) for 4096 (0x00001000) bytes failed verification due to a page checksum mismatch.  The expected checksum was 2209993919 (0x0000000083b9d4bf) and the actual checksum was 2531747097 (0x0000000096e76519).  The read operation will fail with error -613 (0xfffffd9b).  If this condition persists then please restore the database from a previous backup.