cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active Directory Recovery

systematic92
Level 5

Hi all,

I was wondering if you could help me demonstrate a proof of concept to a new contractor I am working for regarding the restoration of Active Directory.

In the past, we had an SBS2003 Server that failed. At the time, the software version used to perform backups was BEXEC 11D. Unfortunately we had no license for the recovery agent and instead of purchasing one, we decided to rebuild the entire AD structure from scratch.

We are now in the process of reviewing our backup system and the business owners would like us to simulate an AD failure and recovery before deciding on purchasing the latest version of the software. My questions:

1. Does the latest version of BE include the AD recovery component or is it still a seperate feature?
2. Is there a trial version of the recovery component or a version of BE that includes the AD restore functionality?
3. If licenses are required, what is the most economical option to show this without committing to a term or contract?

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

1) AD recovery does not require any additional license, however recovery of individual items from AD does require a license.

2) You can install the Agent for Applications & Databases license (or called as the Agent for Active Directory in older versions of BE) as a trial in an installed version of BE.

3) You can download the latest version of BE from the trialware section (www.backupexec.com) and use it to test AD recovery. You can also test restore of individual items from AD.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-backup-ad-and-what-licences-do-i-need

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Note that it does not matter whether you have an Agent for Application and Databases licence so that you can restore individual AD objects, when your sole DC crashes, you need to restore the system state of the DC which contains the entire AD.

systematic92
Level 5

If I went for option 3, could I use the trial version to recover AD and AD individual components from a backup that was performed with 11D?

Is the trial version limited or will it allow me to perform AD and AD-Individual Item restores without any hitch?

Thanks

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Answer to your second question: The trial is not limited in functions, only in time. So yes you can fully test the AD restore.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If the AD backup is taken with GRT, then you might be able to restore the individual AD objects. Otherwise no. You would have to restore the entire AD