cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active Directory Restore is Failing

John_Vyborny
Level 2
Hello,

I am trying to restore a Windows 2000 domain controller. I have read 236240. The restore fails stating, "Active Directory Services has failed to respond". Then upon reboot AD obviously fails, stating Directory Service cannot start.

I restore in AD restore mode. I've tried checking and not checking the SYSVOL option (I forget the name, it's the authoritive vs non-authoritive option) and I get the same results either way. I restore the C:\ at the same time as System State.

Thanks in advance for any help.
4 REPLIES 4

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

What is the error mesasge in the event logs?
run the sgmon before running the restore job.

How to create SGMON.LOG
<<>>

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Had you followed the entire procedure as per the technote? Do you have a current full and incremental/differential backups? Which drivers did you install during the recovery? Ensure that the steps in the technote http://support.veritas.com/docs/236240 are fulfilled properly.

If the issue still persists, revert with details. Also check if there are any errors in the event logs.What account are you using for the restore?

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

John_Vyborny
Level 2
Hi, thanks for the help!

Error messages:

Restore fails and BE states, "The job failed with the following error, The Microsoft Active Directory service is not responding".

Event logs show:

Event ID: 2001
Source:RASCTRS
Event log is unable to provide description.

Event ID: 34113
Source: Backup Exec
Description: The job failed with the following error, The Microsoft Active Directory service is not responding

I'll run sgmon and let you know what it says.

"Had you followed the entire procedure as per the technote?"
I believe so.

"Do you have a current full and incremental/differential backups?"
They are a little older, about 4 months old, from a successful backup. I've tried both non-authoritive and aurthoritive methods.

"Which drivers did you install during the recovery?"
Can you refer me to a tech note? I believe I merge with existing, but not quite sure what you're asking.

"What account are you using for the restore?"
I use admin to the local box credentials.

Thanks for the help.

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi John,

Please let us know what the SGMON shows exactly.

Thanks and regards,

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.