cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active Directory Server Recovery

GibinG
Level 2

We are using Backup Exec 2010.R3 installed on the Domain Controller Server (Win2008R2).The backup exec server service is run using a Domain admin account.This server is connected to a standalone scsi tape drive containing the backup tape.

In the event of a active directory corruption due to power failure , I need to rebuild the server from the previous backups.I follow monthly full and daily differential backup strategy for this server .These backups cover the entire C drive+system state+system components.

Please could someone advise me as to how to go about the recovery procedure.???
Crying or Very sad

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The IDR Process can boot off of a CD and attach top the local tape drive to do the restore.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do the following:

1) Install the OS.  At this stage, the machine should be a stand-alone machine, not part of the domain

2) Install BE

3) Inventory and catalog all the tapes necessary for the restore.

4) restore the C: drive, full followed by all the differentials.

5) restore the system state from the last differential.  I hope you have included the system state in your differentials.

6) reboot the machine.  It should be in the state when the last differential is taken.

It will be good to have at least 2 DC's in your domain.  Otherwise, if there is anything wrong with the system state restore, different hardware, etc, you would not be able to recover your AD.

Do familiarise yourself with the Prepaing for Disaster Recovery chapter in the Admin Guide.