cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adamm Mover Error: Read Failure! Backup Exec 12

EdafioJS
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified
I am running Backup Exec 12 (Rev. 1364) and using an HP LTO 4 Ultrium 1840 tape drive. The server running the backup is running Windows Server 2003 SP2.

We keep getting device errors in the application Log when we run backup jobs using harware encryption. I have checked with Symantec and HP documentation and hardware encryption is supported with this tape drive in this version of Backup Exec.  The backup job rus completes sucessfully, and test restores from the backup jobs have confirmed that the backup runs sucessfully. 

I have not been able t find a resolution for the device error in the Symantec Knowledge Base.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Below is a copy of the error from the application event log n the server running Backup Exec:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Backup Exec
Event Category: Devices
Event ID: 33152
Date:  4/30/2008
Time:  6:31:16 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: SRVMAIN1
Description:
Adamm Mover Error: Read Failure!
Error = 0xE0008121
Drive = "HP-1840"
    {93F0C990-7E8E-4E01-ADDD-B06AA513461B}
Media = "104"
    {C931D92F-FDDC-4B11-8CCA-8E5CE4E578EE}
Read Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)
Write Mode: SingleBlock(1), ScsiPass(1)

6 REPLIES 6

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Probably won't have any effect on your error, but if this drive is locally attached, I'd remove the

Write Single Block and Write Passthrough from the properties of the drive

Write single block bypasses all buffering, and pass through improves error handling for SAN connected devices

EdafioJS
Level 3
Ken
I will definately take a look at that.  Right now it looks like "Write single black mode" and "Write SCSI pass-through mode" boxes are checked.  This article seems to suggest not to have any of the boxes checked if the drive is attached locally via SCSI interface, which this drive is.

I'll let you know how tonight's job goes.

EdafioJS
Level 3
Ok made those changes, and we have errors in the event log again:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Backup Exec
Event Category: Devices
Event ID: 33152
Date:  5/1/2008
Time:  5:52:15 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: *******
Description:
Error = 0xE0008121
Drive = "HP-1840"
    {93F0C990-7E8E-4E01-ADDD-B06AA513461B}
Media = "G April/Oct"
    {BD17EE29-13A8-4BC6-ACA5-FD259113231B}
Write Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)

Again though, the job log shows Job Completed Sucessfully

billslade
Not applicable
We were getting the same error when it was working. Our tape drives and library went offline so I applied SP1. Now when I run a HW encrypted backup with verify it fails or if I run a HW encrypted backup without verify it is sucessfull but I cannot restore.

Our setup:

Dell PowerVault TL4000 (2 Full height LTO4 SAS drives)

Symantec Backup Exec 12 Rev. 1364 (SP1 & Hot Fix 300831 Installed)

When it was working I would get alot of these errors in the App log:

Event Type:      Error

Event Source:   Backup Exec

Event Category:            Devices

Event ID:          33152

Date:                4/22/2008

Time:                1:06:22 AM

User:                N/A

Computer:        FACBK

Description:

Error = 0xE0008121

Drive = "Tape Drive 2"

{AFA6C4F5-4F47-49C3-B630-C1C86CFF4C07}

Media = "000018L4"

{BDD3DF5D-01C7-41AA-B6B6-472AA763253B}

Write Mode: SingleBlock(1), ScsiPass(1)

--------

Bill

Zhaoliang__Rich
Not applicable
I have the exact same error in application log even though the job is reported successfully done in Backup Exec 12. I run some testing on restore, it looks fine. Hope Symantec can fix it soon.

mpare
Level 4

bump

I am having the same errors described here - and this was the only search result that came up in Google.  I have almost exactly the same setup too - Dell PE 2950 server attached to a Dell ML6020 tape library with 4 SAS LTO4 tape drives.  I am running the most current versions of everything - I updated firmware in the library and drives, updated drivers, etc on my BE environment.

But as soon as I turn on hardware encryption, I start to get the 33152 errors.  My jobs complete OK.  But - since turning on encryption - the job engine crashes on my weekend jobs several hours into the backups.  The only way to recover everything is to stop ALL BE services, power cycle the tape drives, then restart the BE services. 

I'm quite sure this is all related - if I turn off encryption, then everything runs smoothly.  I ran into this same problem about 2 months ago and when I turned off encryption, everything has run perfectly fine.  The first time this happened, I discovered that if the tape drives are not reset - then they fail to recognize the tapes properly (the Media ID read from the tape doesn't match what BE has in its database), and tapes are moved into Retired Media - and I lose all ability to use that tape.  Resetting the tape drives resolves the issue. 

I opened a support issue with Symantec and they told me that there was no way the encryption had anything to do with this condition.  

So despite the 33152 errors I am fortunately able to get successful backups and restores, and after the job engine crashes as long as I reset the tape drives, then I'm OK - but it is very annoying to have this condition and having to nurse my jobs constantly to make sure they all restart OK after each job engine failure.  Disabling encryption is not an option as we are required by our clients to encrypt ALL tapes.  Hoping for a fix soon!