cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adamm Mover Error: Write Failure!

Alex_Young
Level 3
Dell 1850 server using W2k2003, Spectra Logic T50 and Backup Exec 10d
Adaptec 39160 SCSI card with Wide negotaion enabled and Enable disconnect set to NO
Sync rate is at 40MB.
I have had the drives replaced in the Library, changed the SCSI cables and checked that I am using the correct ones.
I am not receiving any of the 5, 7, 9, 11, and 15 in the event logs.
I have checked the HCL
The T50 has 2 LTO3 drives that are connected to the U160 on separate channels.
I have also tried reinstalling the Backup Exec.

I am receiving the error when a job finishes on one drive and then at the exact same time to the second the job on the other drive fails.

Adamm Mover Error: Write Failure!
Error = ERROR_IO_DEVICE
Drive = "IBM 2"
{3385592A-A1B5-4B4C-9446-637E9193A504}
Media = "SCC004L"
{0C30352A-A6F0-48AD-9D09-420567D60BCF}
Read Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)
Write Mode: SingleBlock(0), ScsiPass(0)

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this.
27 REPLIES 27

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

please check whether the device is "tested" by backup Exec with the help of the list below:

If yes then please install latest veritas drivers.
Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers (tm) 10d (10.1) Hardware Compatibility List. Includes HCL information for supported drives, libraries, virtual tape devices, fibre-channel HBAs, switches, routers/bridges, and iSCSI components. For printing purposes, the latest version of Acrobat is recommended.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/281670

Latest veritas drivers for 10.0 5520:

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 10.0.5520 - Device Driver Installer (20050815) - Includes Tape Driver Release (20050115) and Robotic Library Release (47) (Intel Only)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/278408

Latest veritas drivers for 10.1:

Symantec Backup Exec (tm) 10d (10.1.5629) - Device Driver Installer (20060215) - Includes Tape Driver Release (09) and Robotic Library Release (52) (Intel Only

http://support.veritas.com/docs/281696

If the device is not tested in the hardware compatibility list then please install the latest OEM drivers.

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Alex_Young
Level 3
Had already checked the HCL and if it was a tested device to which it is.

Have also previously installed the latest drivers for 10.1 which did not resolve the problem.

Have currently disabled one device to allow backups to complete successfully but for obvious reasons would like help to resolve this issue as it defeats the object of having multiple devices.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

You have mentioned that job finishes on one drive and then at the exact same time to the second the job on the other drive fails.

Are you running concurrent jobs to the different drives?

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Alex_Young
Level 3
Yes, our backup server backs up 13 other servers. If all jobs were to run consecutively they would not finish until midday the following day.

Backup exec is configured with 2 drive pools and the jobs are split to run from the pools.
Both pools are configured with both drives and each pool has one drive with higher priority than the other and vice versa for the other pool.

Like I said the problem is that when one job finishes the other job that is running fails. It is not specific to a single drive as it will happen both ways.

Murray_Thomson
Level 2
We're on 9.1 latest build, but we have the same error, and have been battling it for some time. We only have a single drive library (HP SureStore), but have also updated firmware and driver, replaced the drive in the library and are pulling our hair out. Only happens on full backups (ie multi-tape).

We have exactly the same library on exactly the same Veritas version and build, but attached to a W2K instead of W2003 server. Your original note indicates you're running "W2k2003" - is it W2003, or W2K? Wonder if the OS is a common thread.

Cheers
Murray

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Hello,

Have you tried using new tape?

Alex_Young
Level 3
Sorry,

Yes it is a 2003 server.

The tapes are all brand new, the drive the server and the tapes were all purchased in February and we have been having this problem since it was originally installed.

I have checked with the manufacture of the library and they have said that the tapes are the correct one to use.

Alex_Young
Level 3
Does anybody know if this could be a SCSI problem rather than software.

Are there any settings that I need to check on the SCSI card

Currently the transfer rate is set to 40Mb multi LUN enabled

Other than that everything else is set to defaults.

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
I have been fighting this same problem for well over 3 weeks now, almost full time.
I have an open Symantec Tech Support Case 230-113-937.
I also have an open Dell PESS Gold support case.

There are just too many similarities to be coincidence.

Backup server is Dell 2850
Windows Server 2003, Standard, SP 1
Backup Exec 10.1 rev 5629
Dell PowerVault 132T with 1 x IBM LTO-3 drive (YES!!! it is on the HCL and uses SCSI ID addressing scheme)
Adaptec 39160 controller card:
Channel a: ID 0 & 1 - no device, ID 2 - PV-132T, ID 3 - Ultrium-td3, ID 7 - adaptec card.
Channel b: not used

I have used brand new media. I can re-use media that previously failed and it succeeds. I CANNOT reproduce on demand, but at least one of my backup jobs to tape fails EVERY NIGHT - either on verify pass or on the backup pass itself.

I have had Dell and Symantec support check all firmware and driver versions. I have used and re-used Tapeinst.exe as advise.

To their credit, Dell have:
Replaced ALL of, the tape drive sled, the Adaptec card, the SCSI cable, the terminator.

I have read/implemented EVERYTHING Symantec tech support has advised.

I have combed though support forums, googled above and beyond the call of duty.

I have found THREE (3) Veritas support docs that talk about SCSI BIOS settings and, if i'm reading them correctly, in some case they DO NOT agree, or are NOT CLEAR whether the settings apply to the SCSI IDs for the backup devices or the ID for the card itself.

doc's. 190557, 190598, 237047

I have been an IT Tech support person for many years and this problem is driving me crazy.

There are quite a few threads in this Veritas forum alone - just stick "PowerVault" in the search bar.

These discussions are all RECENT. We can't ALL be doing something incorrectly.
There has to be something fundamentally wrong here.

Help.
Amen.

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
Hi

I put the details of the 3 support doc's. I mentioned in a separate thread:

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=62566&tstart=0

Cheers

Alex_Young
Level 3
It has now been over a month since my last post and I am still receiving this message.

I have now replaced the library, the SCSI card (now using a U320), the terminators and cables, and the drives.

I am still receiving this error and I am now closer to resolving this issue.

I do not receive any SCSI erros in the event logs so does anyone have any ideas what else I can try.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Did you update the firmware of the device..

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
let me jump in here on Alex' behalf.

Yes, I HAVE updated my firmware, INCLDUING the Adaptec card, and I STILL have the problem.

Alex_Young
Level 3
Yes I have updated the firmware on everything.

This includes server, scsi card, library, and drives.

None of this has resolved the error.

thanks
Alex-

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
HI Alex

You may be interested to know that Veritas, after pressure from Dell, is going to re-open my support call.

I'll keep you posted.
Rob

Alex_Young
Level 3
Rob,

Thanks for the update, I also have Spectra Logic (library manufacturers) looking at this problem for me.

thanks
Alex

Chris_Cutler
Level 2
Thank goodness I found this thread and someone else has the same issues that have me pulling my hair out.

Setup: Dell PowerEdge 2650, Adaptec SCSI 39160, Dell PowerVault 114 (IBM LTO3 x 2 each attached to channel A and Channel B, respectively).

Updated all the drivers and firmware, but still get apparently random Adamm Mover Errors - I/O failures.

Any insight or resolution would be a blessing.

Thanks,

Chris

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
As I said earlier, Dell have already replaced Adaptec SCSI card, cable, drive sled, and terminator.

This morning they are replacing the PowerVault chassis (and maybe the SCSI card again). There is electronic interface in the chassis between the drive sled and picker. So, by doing this, Dell will completely eliminate any possibility of hardware fault.

The common thing between all 3 of us is that the physical device is using IBM LTO 3 drive(s).

Alex_Young
Level 3
I have an engineer making a site visit this week to see if they can resolve this issue and will post the results when they have finished.

Alex