cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add servers to Central Administration

D_W_UK
Level 2

Hello.

We currently manage about 20 different BackupExec servers in our organisation, all varying versions.  It is my understanding that I can install the Backup Exec Central Administration option and add my servers to manage (view job status, etc) from one server in a consolodated list as opposed to logging on to 20 different servers.  I have installed a trial version but cannot see an obvious way to add the other servers to manage.  Can anyone help please?

Thanks,
D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

First, enable the Enterprise Server Option specifically the Central Admininstration Server option in trial and set the server as the CASO server.

While setting up the CASO, you will have the option of setting up the Device & Media, Catalogs location as well.

Once done, install the Managed Media Server option on the remaining media servers. Again, this can be done from the Installation & Licensing - Install Licenses and Options wizard. While installing the MMS, you will have the option of specifying which CASO server to report to.

Would recommend to have a good read at the CASO chapter of the Admin Guide for more information.

This KB article will help as well - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO99071.html

Lastly, its recommended all servers are on the same version to be managed by the CASO. A lower version MMS server can be managed by the CASO, however its recommended only for rolling upgrade purposes and not otherwise.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

First, enable the Enterprise Server Option specifically the Central Admininstration Server option in trial and set the server as the CASO server.

While setting up the CASO, you will have the option of setting up the Device & Media, Catalogs location as well.

Once done, install the Managed Media Server option on the remaining media servers. Again, this can be done from the Installation & Licensing - Install Licenses and Options wizard. While installing the MMS, you will have the option of specifying which CASO server to report to.

Would recommend to have a good read at the CASO chapter of the Admin Guide for more information.

This KB article will help as well - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO99071.html

Lastly, its recommended all servers are on the same version to be managed by the CASO. A lower version MMS server can be managed by the CASO, however its recommended only for rolling upgrade purposes and not otherwise.

LegAEI
Level 5

Read the documentation carefully, the relationship between your CASO and your media servers might fundamentally change your backups due to cataloging, it isn't as simple as hooking up your machines to a console. The integration level of your CASO is going to be rather complex. Make sure you are ready to do a lot of work if you want to bail on the situation.

D_W_UK
Level 2

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Is there an easy way to manage or monitor multiple Backup Exec servers (maybe CASO isn't the way to go)?  I just want a single view for all jobs on all servers to avoid having to log on to 20 different servers and running Backup Exec 20 times.

Thanks,
D

pkh
   VIP    Certified
No. There is no way to see all the jobs in all the servers in a single window without CASO. However from any one console, you can connect to the console on another media server. You can then operate that media server. This is the remote console capability of BE. You can even install the remote console on a PC and connect it to all your media servers. See Craig's article below https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-leverage-backup-execs-remote-console

LegAEI
Level 5

CASO is the only way to go if you want to unify all of your backup exec servers. My words of warning were regarding installing it as a trial, because of the way CASO changes your backups.

It also gives you great features like the ability to ship duplicates to other servers and failover jobs should one of your media servers go down. You can also install it as a completely separate piece on a VM and cluster for high availability. With 20 media servers, I really don't see how you are getting along without it!