cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding network disk based storage

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

Hello,

I am unable to added a Disk Based storage location on a NAS and keep getting the error message below.

The backup exec service account does not have read and write permission o nthe remote computer on which the network share is located.

The backup Exec service account that requires these permission is on the backup exec server that you want to access the network share.

You must give read and write permission to the backup exec service account, and then try again.

The BESA used in my case is DOMAIN\backupagent. The problem is that my nas is not linked to Active directory so I can't give that user account permissions to the share.

What else can I do?

Thanks

Peter Sheridan

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You have to add the BESA to the NAS as a local admin with full read/write permission to the entire disk.  This is usually done using the admin console of the NAS.

View solution in original post

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Like pkh says, just add it as a regular account to your nas.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You have to add the BESA to the NAS as a local admin with full read/write permission to the entire disk.  This is usually done using the admin console of the NAS.

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

How can this be done when the nas only uses local accounts (Not AD Integrated)?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Didn't I said earlier to add the BESA as a local admin? Do it the same way as you would for other ids which need permission on the NAS.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Like pkh says, just add it as a regular account to your nas.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

? Nothing new added...please don't repeat information already given.

Thanks!

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Well, he didn't seem to get it...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...I think that pkh confirming what he said over 9 hours ago might mean he will now...

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Point taken, just trying to help.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just as a recommendation - if your NAS suppiorts being configured to provide an ISCSI LUN, then I'd suggest doing this and attaching the LUN to the media server over iSCSI as, amongst other things, it makes credentials issues much easier to handle.

If you can't do iSCSI then second recommedation is make the NAS a member of the domain (which I know you have said you can't do)

After that it gets tricky as - you might be able to configure the Backup Exec services to start with an account in the format .\administrator (where the . replaces the domain name) and then make sure that the NAS also has a local account called administrator with the same password to connect to (but this is a very hit and miss configuration due to how different NAS devices maybe configured and also what effect changing the service account may have an accessing other systems)

Peter_Sheridan
Level 6

Thanks for the suggestion.

I did originally add the BESA as a local user to the NAS but it didn't work. I tried again a few hours later and it seemed to, so don't know what changed...

The fact it didn't work the first time made me think I somehow had to add the BESA to the NAS using AD Authentication or something similar, hence my original post.

both phk and maurijo's comments were valid along with Colin's explaniation - So thankyou to all.

Cheers

I am having the same issue with Backup Exec 16 and Netgear ReadyNAS.

The NAS has AD authentication and is part of the domain, I can browse AD users and groups on it. BE16 (trial) is installed on a domain server which previously had BE15 installed.

When trying to configure a test share on the NAS as the storage location, I'm getting the same error. I have ensured that the BESA has full read/write permissions on the test share but no luck.