cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding new Tapes to Backup Exec 12

patrickwilson82
Level 2

Hi there,

I just added a new tape to Backup Exec 12. I ran the Inventory Command and Associated it to my Weekly Media Set. But it still has a question mark next to the Label name. Is there a step that I missed? Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Tapes without barcodes (or tapes used in a drive that cannot read barcodes) need to be manually labelled

Also do not move a new tape into a specific media set - as it can instantly start the overwrite protection making it unusuable until that period expires. Leave it in the scratch set and let Backup Exec move it when a job first uses it.

The tape already has a barcode, and it sees the correct label name from the barcode, but there is a question mark next to that label name.

Also I'm rotating this set out on Friday. The next weekly backup, (the set should be in), won't take place until Saturday. So can I mjust add it to the Weekly set so it's ready to go for next time?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Not sure about the label name field (although maybe the fact that you are using a very very old version of Backup Exec is perhaps hindering things a little)

If you leave the new tapes in the scratch set Backup Exec will move them to the set defined in the job  when/if it needs to use a new piece of media (the rules for how Backup Exec chooses overwritable media are discussed in a chapter in the admin guide) If you want to run a job tonight and add a new tape into the library and then add that tape to a media set that is write protected for 1 week, then the overwrite protection will start when you add the tape into the set, meaning it will not be available for tonight but in 1 week's time) Please understand: Backup Exec moves tapes from ANY media set if the tape is overwriteable and online when an overwriteable tape is needed. Media sets are ONLY designed to manage the overwrite and append period, they are NOT designed to peermanantly hold onto a piece of media as if it  was some form of storage location.