cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding new media tapes to existing Backup exec

costasdou
Level 2

Hello,

well I am new in Back Exec 15. I have a current media set that backup every day in a different tape.I need to replace my current set with a new one because they are full.

I know that I need to create a new media set in BE and associate my current schedule with this new media set.Is it anything else that I have to do before my schedule runs with new tapes?

Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

You only need to create a new media set if you WANT a new media set.

Generally, you would add new blank media to your tape library, inventory them (which puts them in the Scratch media set, ready for use when needed), and then you wait for your jobs to run as normal.  When a backup job needs a media to overwrite, it takes one media from the Scratch set, assigns it to the media set for that job and then writes data to it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

You only need to create a new media set if you WANT a new media set.

Generally, you would add new blank media to your tape library, inventory them (which puts them in the Scratch media set, ready for use when needed), and then you wait for your jobs to run as normal.  When a backup job needs a media to overwrite, it takes one media from the Scratch set, assigns it to the media set for that job and then writes data to it.

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation!