cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional backup media issue

nathangjones
Level 3

I have a new server running Backup Exec 2010 Quickstart Edition, my backup device is a Quantum Superloader with 8 slot magazine.

My Fridays Full backups span 2 tapes, and I want to archive the backups for 4 weeks before overwriting.....therefore.....

I have configured 4 media pools (Week1, Week2, Week3, Week4). 

Assigned 2 tapes per pool (Week 1 Tape 1. Week 1 Tape 2) etc.

I have 4 Full backup jobs for each Friday in a month.  Week1 Full backup is configured to use media pool Week1, Week 2 backup job uses Media pool Week2 etc

The tape magazine is loaded with all 8 tapes, and I perform an Inventory.

My issue.  If for instance Backup Job Week1 starts, as its configured to use Media Pool Week1, it will use a tape in this pool to start (either of the 2).  HOWEVER.....once the tape is full and a 2nd tape is required, Backup Exec seems to ignore the jobs media pool setting and will use any tape it wants.

Why  does it do this??  Is this a bug. 

Even If all 8 tapes in the magazine are overwritebale, surely the backup job should only use the media in the media pool configured in the jobs properties.

I know I can prob use the overwritable settings for the media pools to manage this, but this seems to screw up whern there are 5 Fridays in a month.

Any ideas.  Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

If you want the Jobs to go to specific set of Tapes you can configure partition with 2 Tapes each. Right click on robotic library from the devices tab and click on configure partitions. After configuring it you can select that partition in the Jobs. Also I think you are referring to media sets. I think its behaving properly. Refer http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH5459 for clarity on media sets

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Change the media management setting to "Overwrite Recyclable media in target media set before overwriting SCRATCH media". 

Regards...

nathangjones
Level 3

Thanks for the response.  I am referring to media sets (not pools)  Ive read the document with the link provided.

Backup exec works as expected when the jobs begin.  i.e. my backup jobs are configured as overwrite and will use the recyclable media in the targeted media set.  Which is the expected behaviour as detailed in the link.

However, although I have 2 recyclable tapes in a specific jobs targeted media set, once the first tape is full, the 2nd tape selected to complete the full backup, will not be the other tape from the targeted media set (although its recyclable).  It will be any other recyclable tape from any media set.  This selection probably follows the rule of which tape it uses based on length of time the tape has been recyclable or allocation time.   

The document doesnt specifiy what happens with additional backup job media.  It seems that targeted media job rules are ignored and selection is only based on the other factors I mention above (there is no scratch media in my setup so this doesnt come into play).

Maybe the get the fine granularity of control I require is to partition the autoloader as you mention.  So I will give this a go.

Thanks

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Is the second tape in target media set recyclable during the backup job? Have you checked it?

Because the second tape may not be overwritable, while BE tries to span media. Because of that BE may used other recyclable media available to continue the backup job. 

Regards....

nathangjones
Level 3

Hi Kiran

Every week before the jobs begin, I always check that both tapes in the target media set are reported as overwriteable

The same issues happen weekly with different back up jobs. 

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Hmmm

This is not the designed behavior\

Try a database repair using BEUTIL

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In the Windows Device Manager, check that your library is listed as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver.  If it has a Quantum driver, change it using the procedures below

How to uninstall the Original Equipment Manufacturer driver for the medium changer in a robotic libr...

How to uninstall the Original Equipment Manufacturer driver for the medium changer in a robotic libr...

The tape drive should have a Symantec driver.

Although the symptoms that you described are not expected, you are also making things unnecesarily complicated by trying to manage the tape rather than letting BE and the library manage the tapes for you.  See my article on this subject.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape

nathangjones
Level 3

I will try your recommendations this week and let you know the outcome.

PKH - thats an interesting article on tape management.  I have always (until now) used standalone drives and never looked at the management from this viewpoint.