cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advance Open File Option: How it works the backend, and does it protects unsaved open files?

lxamitlx
Level 2

Hi Guys, Need your help in understanding the mysteries behind Advance Open File Option.

Please help me with following queries:

Advance Open File Option: How it works in the backend? and does it protects unsaved open files?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

sbora
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

AOFO option is used to backup open files on a system. In case of Windows it is used by default since all backups are VSS based. If you want to modify options like changing VSS provider etc. then you can select AOFO option in the job and make those edits. Otherwise no need to select it while backing up Windows systems.

Refer Page number 544 onwards in BE 16 admin guide for further details.

Hello, Thanks for the reply..

The page number you suggested is not having any detailed info about what I am looking for...

My queries are:

1. How does AOF mechanism work in the backend? A depth technical background of this method...

2. Does it protect unsaved open files? Example: I have an open file and I am continuously writing some data to it, but I have not saved (Ctr+S) this file yet (since 1 or 2 hrs of time). Will it be backed up by Backup exec even if it is not saved to have current modified data with latest contents I have written in this file, or it will just backup this file with what has been already saved (ctrl+s)?