cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Disk Based Backup + SQL Exchange backups to tape

BallandBiscuit
Level 3
Hi,

I am looking at deploying advanced disk based backup to perform D2D backups of our massive file store.  I understand that this option does not apply to Exchange and SQL.

If I perform a regular Exchange and SQL backups it is possible to write them to tape in the same job as a copy of the disk based filestore backup?
8 REPLIES 8

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Please refer the following document http://support.veritas.com/docs/310078

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Its recommended you create a seprate backup job for the SQl adn exchange or nay option for which you have an agent .
Have a look on the above document about performing odd host backup for exchange ....

BallandBiscuit
Level 3
I can create all the seperate jobs to disk without issue, the key thing is then being able to duplicate them to tape in one job.  If I need multiple jobs to copy it to tape there will be issues with overwrites/appends...

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

well you can set priorty on the duplicate job so they duplicate according to your need
set enough time for the duplicate job so the jo stays in queue till the time the other job completes .
you set ur 1st duplicate job to overwrte and the rest of the job to append ...

teiva-boy
Level 6
Stop thinking jobs, and use policies.  Policies let you automate tasks, and chain them together...  Like backing up to disk, and duplicating to tape.  Once a policy is created, all the jobs are automatically created for you.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
You cannot use a single policy to acheive this ... as you would have different selection for the file backup and different selection for the Exchange and Sql backup . 

teiva-boy
Level 6
True you cant use a single policy, but it doesnt matter anyways!
One policy is made for databases like SQL, Exch, etc.  One for file selections.  Obviously one has AOFO off, the other on (respectively)

They can kick off at the same time too for all I care, and since it's going to disk, you can multistream the backups and get shorter backup windows typically.

Then duplicate to tape in the policy, and it can queue then append till it's done, even during business hours without affecting production systems.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

There are different way you can configure your backups but the bootm line is setting up priory to the job and setting up proper setting to the backup job  w.r.t append ,overwrite  and schedulling