cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Open File Option

Lorica
Level 2
We have a new client using Symantec Backup Exec 10d Small Business Server Suite. Does this product include the Advanced Open File Option?

It is selectable in the Job setup properties with only the Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service available. Will this work or do they have to have an addtional licence key for AOFO?

I'm completely new to Backup Exec, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Martin.

3 REPLIES 3

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
That is what you would be getting in SBS license, because of presence of Exchange Agent license. So, you can proceed with backups with this selection, open file backups should work. This is all you would require to select for file level backups. Microsoft VSS, would work for Windows 2003 servers.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

Lorica
Level 2
BEsymc,

I'm still getting backup failures due to the lack of AOFO?

When I run the setup and change I cannot select the AOFO option to install it. See attached screen shots.

Thanks,

Martin.AOFO.png

Symantec License.png

sam_tech
Level 3
Accredited Certified
Hi,

Symantec Backup Exec 10d Small Business Server does not Come with AOFO option, in order to backup Open files you will have purchase an additional license key for the same and once you enter the license key for the same , that option would be enabled and after the successfull installation of the AOFO, in the backup job enable the check box USE ADVANCE OPEN FILE OPTION and set it to use AUTOMATIC SELECT OPEN FILE TECHNOLOGY and depending on the Operating system of the server that you are backing up it will use the SNAPSHOT PROVIDER.

for example: for server 2003 it will use VSS and for servers running on 2000 it will use VSP.

Please mark this is as a solution if this has answered your query.

Thanks and regards,
Sandeep vaishnavi
Symantec Technical Support.