cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Open File Option?

Edwin_Smith
Level 3
I get this Error: 0xe000fec2. when I'm doing a backup. It tells me that I must purchase the Advanced Open File Option. Why is Advanced Open File Option needed when volume shadow copy service provides the snapshot?

I can use NTBackup which came with Small Business Server 2003 and it will back up open files with no problem using Volume Shadow Copy Service.

Thanks

Edwin
9 REPLIES 9

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

Shadow copy components itself wont allow you to backup open files.You need Advanced open file option.

Please refer these technotes:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/275397.htm
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/263784.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Edwin_Smith
Level 3
> Hi,
>
> Shadow copy components itself wont allow you to
> backup open files.You need Advanced open file
> option.
>

DUH! RE-read my previous post. I can use the FREE NTBackup program which comes with SBS 2003 to backup OPEN FILES using VSS. So why does BackupExec require me to purchase an option which is provided by Microsoft for FREE???

Edwin

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi,

theres an alternative to backup open files without having AOFO installed. You could select the "Open File Option" in the job properties under the "Advanced" settings.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Edwin_Smith
Level 3
Which setting should I use under Advanced? I tried this before but it wouldn't back up open files.

Thank you

Edwin

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly check the Option Microsoft Volume Shadowcopy Services option.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Edwin_Smith
Level 3
Thank you for your reply.

The only place I see the "Microsoft Volume Shadowcopy Services" option is a radio button in the Advanced Open File Dilog. If I do not ckeck "Use Advanced Open File Option" the "Microsoft Volume Shadowcopy Services" radio button is grayed out.

If I check "Use Advanced Open File Option" and the "Microsoft Volume Shadowcopy Services" radio button, I get the original error I started out with.

Is there a different place to select the Microsoft VSS?

Edwin

> Hello,
>
> Kindly check the Option Microsoft Volume Shadowcopy
> Services option.
>
>
> NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two
> business days, this post would be marked assumed
> answered
> and would be moved to answered questions pool.
>
> *************************************************
> ************************************************

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
AOFO licensing for Backup Exec buys you Veritas Snapshot Provider (VSP) and the ability to use VSS. An AOFO license is required to use any of the types of AOFO for file backups. See http://support.veritas.com/docs/272903 .

Russ

Edwin_Smith
Level 3
Yes, I realize this but why should I be forced to buy the option to use VSS which Microsoft provides for free?

Edwin

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
I understand but that's not a support question. Make a suggestion through enhancement.veritas.com.

Russ