cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Open File Query using Backup Exec 12

Warney316
Level 3

Hi all - Just recently started to get errors on a couple of servers (1 server has Windows Server 2003 and the other has Windows Server 2000 SP4) when doing backups over night, the message i get is that some files are being skipped, it started off as a few on each server but now it is up to 17 on 1 of them - it says that the file is in use or has the file extension.lck. Also it does complete the job but with these exceptions.

On these jobs i have selected to use Advanced File Option and chosen "Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (Windows 2003 Server) and Snapshot Provider = "Automatic - Allow VSS to select the snapshot provider"  I have also checked the box to process logical volumes for backup aone at a time.

I thought by choosing AOF that the backup would still work and not skip files being used?

Does any have any idea why this is happening or any advice on how i could resolve this problem.

Thanks in advance

Warney Smiley Happy

2 REPLIES 2

Steve_W_
Level 6
Employee Accredited
VSS wont be able to snap open files on a Windows 2000 Server as VSS is not present on a Windows 2000 server.  Are all of the files that are being skipped on the 2000 server?

ccarey
Not applicable

I have a similar issue - the job is backing up a 2003 server and two Win2kSP4 servers and open file does not want to work on the Win2K servers.

It appears to be insisting on using VSS on all instances:

V-79-57344-34110 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "C:". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).
VSS snapshots are not supported on the version of the operating system running on the target computer.